C4 Forums | Control4

MTC and the RCA jacks

sfleck

I think you're confused... the MTS (Mini Touch Screen)? If so - then that takes ethernet (or Wifi) and you don't run RCA's to it. It has RCA line level outs so that it could drive sound in a room off of it (run ethernet from the MC to a switch, from the switch to all your MTS - from those run RCAs to the stereo or amp already in that room). It's either that or I use SpeakerPoints. Never running RCA over Cat5 - why would you need to?

slemay,

no ... i'm not confused ... i know what ethernet is for and what the RCA jacks are for.

i'm trying to figure out the best way to multi-zone AUDIO ... without having to put an amp / audio point / speaker point into every room. i like centralized distribution. if C4 would have put an actual amp in their MTS instead of a pair of RCA jacks ... the damn thing would be useful.

You need to use the C4 Multi-Channel Amp (MCA) and connect the three analog audio outs from the MC to the MCA. You should locate the MCA & MC together in a central loaction and then distribute the Speaker Level Outs to each Zone.

I hope this helps,

Rob

slemay,

no ... i'm not confused ... i know what ethernet is for and what the RCA jacks are for.

i'm trying to figure out the best way to multi-zone AUDIO ... without having to put an amp / audio point / speaker point into every room. i like centralized distribution. if C4 would have put an actual amp in their MTS instead of a pair of RCA jacks ... the damn thing would be useful.

It would have been great if they put an AMP in there... Not sure why they didn't... Probably a space / cost issue..

You need to use the C4 Multi-Channel Amp (MCA) and connect the three analog audio outs from the MC to the MCA. You should locate the MCA & MC together in a central loaction and then distribute the Speaker Level Outs to each Zone.

I hope this helps,

Rob

thanks Rob,

that is what i figured but it just seems like such a huge waste of wire and work.

so then, back to original question ...

what are you guys doing? running 2 cat5 back to the wiring closet where the MC and MCA or located and soldering on RCA jacks?

steve

what are you guys doing? running 2 cat5 back to the wiring closet where the MC and MCA or located and soldering on RCA jacks?

steve

I'm guessing that this question comes from my response yesterday on the thread about the Amp and 8 zones. I did use this method once on a job where I couldn't get the analog audio to work correctly off of the C4 Amp. This install was probably a little different than most, because the house was done when we found out the analog wasn't working correctly. I planned ahead and threw a conduit in the wall from the basement to the attic, just in case we needed more wires. As it turned out this saved my job from flopping... it was one of those times when I was in severe need of help from Control4 and I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone so I just did my own thing. Rather than solder cat5, I just ran siamese RG6 and crimped ends on. It worked fine, it wasn't the ideal method, but that's what I came up with.

I also used this method in my own house where I have a touchscreen, an htc and a usb hard drive. I ran the siamese from the back of the MTS and connected it to the router input on my Zon Audio system... works great for calling up media from the hard drive and playing it through out my house. Now if I can just program to control Zon Audio's settings...

Blake

siamese RG6?

i assume that means parallel runs from the MTS back to the MC or Amp?

but did you not use the RCA jacks on the MTS ?

nevermind ....

i misread RG6 for CAT5 ....

i understand now, i do the same thing for RCA all the time ... especially subs.

Never running RCA over Cat5 - why would you need to?

you have to run it over something .... and ....

because there are no amps in the room.

because i think the speaker points are rather unattractive boxes and make it difficult to hide the wiring

because the client has no idea where they will permenantly place their furniture before the build is finished ... so where would they put a speaker point? where would you terminate?

and because a $700 (MTS) + $400 (ESpkPt) + termination boxes is very expensive for a single room audio solution

Because the MCA isn't capable of streaming digital and the MTS is, we are running the line level analog audio out from the MTS back to the amp to create additional zones. Rather silly going from PC to ROUTER to HTC to MTS to MCA to SPEAKERS to create one zone but as sfleck says, an extra $400 for a zone when we already have an amp is not realistic.

The MCA not doing digital is just silly.

It would have been great if they put an AMP in there... Not sure why they didn't... Probably a space / cost issue..

and weight as well as it would no longer be a low voltage device - so different UL certs etc.. etc... plus I don't think you'd get it in a device that size.

i think the amp would fit in a MTS fine ... they fit quite easily in the speaker point and they are low voltage running at 36V ... so i don't think any of SLemay's issues apply.

i have said it from the first time i laid eyes on a MTS and a speaker point ... they should be "combined" and DITCH THE RCA jacks on the back of the MTS.

I think it is reasonable to assume that putting a AMP in the MTS is doable... look at Zon Audio... or others that stream the audio over cat 5 and amplify it at the volume control and send it out to the speakers... I think someone once said on the dealer site that would basically be just like what Sonos does??? Certainly it would increase the cost, but I would rather send the signal from there out to the speakers, than figure out some powered solution...

Blake

yep, sure ... the ABus keypad maybe only 7W or 11W but the whole damn thing fits easily in a single gang box with ALL THE WIRES.

i just cannot find an intelligent use or room design with the RCA in the MTS.

this keeps forcing me to seek another lower priced whole-house audio design that fills that 3 to 5 room niche that may require only 4 or less sources.

has anyone seen a dual RCA -> RJ45 adapter? there's no way i'm running dual RG6 and single cat5 to every MTS ... especially now on one of my current projects - it's mostly drywalled already.

sure. done it many times. 20 - 30 feet without a problem.

this run is a lot longer though.

i split the pairs and solder on jacks.

one of the wiring manufacturers (Belkin? Commscope?) always puts on a great free seminar at the EHExpo ... you would be amazed at the things they do with Cat5 and all the data to back it up. it's a great class.

sfleck,

Sorry not talking about anything i did, just stating that Netstreams has 20watt Daudio amps that they put in each room, C4 also works with DAudio, so you would think they could come up with a way to put a small amp in the color touch screen.

Curt

Archived