C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer issue

maniac36

I'm trying to have my lights in the house ramp to 10-20% after 12AM. This way we don't blind ourselves if we have to get up in the middle of the night to check on the baby, get a snack, or whatever. I did a test on our ensuite lights and what happens is the lights turn on to 100% for a second then go to the desired ramp level. This kind of defeats the purpose, any thoughts on why this might be happening? Thanks

Another way to handle this is to use the bottom of the switch. No time restrictions necessary, you can simply program the relevant switches so that when the bottom of the switch is pressed, if the light is off, it ramps on to some low level. I wrote about this here:

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=1319

One thing I've not checked thoroughly yet, but I think the new polling behavior (polling less frequently) might make this sometimes work differently than expected. You can fix this by using a slow ramp time. Otherwise what happens if the light is on, you press the bottom button, it quickly turns off, and then C4 polls the light, sees that it is off, and executes the bottom press whatif statement, "if off, ramp to 20%".

what you want is for the light to still be on when C4 polls it, thus the slow ramp.

We use this programming in our baby's nursery. When we go in to check on her, a bottom button press brings the lights slowly up to 15%, just enough to check on her, not enough to wake her. If nap time is over, though, a top press brings them all the way up.

--Jason

Archived