C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for help concerning custom buttons

2inspect

I have older control4 media controller running version 1.6 and 10.5 touchscreen. When my dealer initially set up my system he created a custom button to turn on and off my projector in my theater room. The theater room has somewhat of an odd configuration in that there is a 40" lcd panel that hangs on the wall for daytime viewing and 100" projection screen for nighttime viewing that drops down in front lcd when projector turns on. Both the projector and lcd are fed the same video signal. When the custom button labeled projector is pressed it commands the lcd to turn off, the projector turns on, the electric projector screen is lowered and lights in the theater room turn off. This worked great until I added version2 remote to theater room. When the 4 button on the remote is pressed while the projector is on, it will also turn on the lcd and bring up the screen GUI on both displays. My question is there way to tell the controller not to turn on the lcd when the projector is being used.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Interesting challenge and I'm sure more experienced folks here will have better solutions, but in the interim . . . I think part of the challenge is that, as far as I know, C4 tends to think of any "room" as having a maximum of one audio zone and one video zone. So when you're in that room, pressing the "4" button is turning on all the video options in that room.

Two solutions that come to mind are:

1. Redefine the room as 2 rooms. One would be something like "Theatre Night" and the other would be "Theatre Day" direct control of the lights from the remote would be trickier because lights can only be in one room, but there are various solutions to that such as programming them to go on and off based on another custom button. If you have more than one light switch in the room (say walls and ceiling) then you could bind them together and have one in each room, and when you control the one while your remote is in "Theatre Night" it will also move the lights that are in "Theatre Day"

2. The other option, which is a bit more of a workaround I think, is that you could add some programming so that when the projector is on (or when the screen is down) and the LCD changes power state, it waits 5 seconds and then turns off. As long as the LCD doesn't show through the screen it should not be too disruptive.

Out of curiosity, does the opposite happen? When you're watching the LCD and press "4" does the projector come on?

3. The last option, though I'm not familiar enough with how drivers get programmed to know if this would work, but I think a dealer could modify the LCD's driver so that instead of sending an on/off code to the TV, it checks some variable, like "Screen_Down_Status" and only turns on the LCD if Screen_Down_Status is NO. Again, I'm not sure if that would be possible exactly, but I think something close would be possible.

Hope some of that is useful. Good luck!

--Jason

Thanks Jason

In reference to your question does the opposite happen? When you're watching the LCD and press "4" does the projector come on?

the answer is no. The custom button labeled projector has one button for ON and the other OFF. The OFF button performs the opposite action it turn off the projector, raises the screen, turns lcd back on and brings the ceiling light to 30%.

Archived