C4 Forums | Control4

Effort required to show Meta Data from a Third Party Product

hehateme

I am trying to determine the effort it will take to be able to show meta data from a third party product.

I am looking at Integra Tun-3.7 or Onkyo T-4555 HD Radio receivers. Both of them have RS232 interfaces.

How hard is this task?

Can it even be done?

How much programming will a dealer need to do to accomplish this?

If it is too expensive or hard I will just live with AM/FM.

Honestly... if you found a dealer that sold a lot of those and was a Control4 dealer - then it would be worth their time (and cost) to write the driver in LUA and use it on other jobs. For a one time install - it would be cheaper for you to buy the Control4 Tuner w/XM card than it would be to program that driver. FYI.

This is what I was thinking. I will go with Control 4 V2 Tuner.

I will probably add Sangean HDT-1X HD Radio Component Tuner. I will not try to get the meta data.

I was told that it will be easy to add another tuner and allow me to change the stations but getting meta data is much harder.

Thanks Shawn.

Exactly! Each companies way to "deliver" that metadata is different - thus the driver has to be changed for each one... pain in the butt. You never know though - Control4 may come out with an HD Tuner addin for the v2 tuner... (no I don't know anything, nor do I have any insight - I'm just speculating - there is an expansion port on the back of the v2 tuner - and right now that only supports XM addin card - but nothing to say they couldn't come out with an HD tuner addin card). I'm sure hoping they do - Rhapsody is nice - but alot of our "older" customers just don't want it or to deal with it - they like their AM/FM radio - and LOVE HD radio (ok - they may be clueless about the technology - they just know it sounds much better and they like that).

Archived