C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 iPhone App Updating Problem - Project Size to Big ?

sjj31a

I am having some serious problems with the Control4 UI app on my iphone. It worked great initially, now everytime I load it asks me if I want to update my project. It runs through the update but never finishes (iphone just blacks out after 5 minutes). I am wondering if the file size of my project has maxed it out. I made some modifications that pushed my project to 8.1 MB vs. around 7MB before including adding a NAS drive and related coverart. I am wondering if this thing fails at the 8MB project level. I have sent a couple of emails to control4 UI and no response. Has anyone had similiar experience?

I even went so far as to install and reinstall the app. When updating, I am in an area with perfect wifi reception so it is not a speed issue?

I am having some serious problems with the Control4 UI app on my iphone. It worked great initially, now everytime I load it asks me if I want to update my project. It runs through the update but never finishes (iphone just blacks out after 5 minutes). I am wondering if the file size of my project has maxed it out. I made some modifications that pushed my project to 8.1 MB vs. around 7MB before including adding a NAS drive and related coverart. I am wondering if this thing fails at the 8MB project level. I have sent a couple of emails to control4 UI and no response. Has anyone had similiar experience?

I even went so far as to install and reinstall the app. When updating, I am in an area with perfect wifi reception so it is not a speed issue?

I'd try reloading the app..

I have had the same issues. As long as you are referring to the same issues this is what I did. It is just like a screensaver putting a computer in hibernate and everything stops the only difference is the computer has a screen saver so you don't see a black screen. You just have to tap the screen every 30 seconds until it finishes loading. I hope this helps if it was the same problem that I have had.

I have had the same issues. As long as you are referring to the same issues this is what I did. It is just like a screensaver putting a computer in hibernate and everything stops the only difference is the computer has a screen saver so you don't see a black screen. You just have to tap the screen every 30 seconds until it finishes loading. I hope this helps if it was the same problem that I have had.

My project is over 8mb and worked fine, with such a big project it does take a while to refresh. You can do what Patrick stated above or go into setting on the iPhone, select General, then go down to Auto-Lock and change this setting to never. This will make the iPhone screen not turn off or go into "screensaver" more like battery saver mode. Just make sure you change the setting back! Hope that helps.

On my iphone running 2.2.1 I do not have the option of NEVER just 1-5 minutes. I did a reset an the option appeared, however once I hooked up our corporate exchange server the option went away as well as the ability to TURN OFF the password lock. Is there anyone out there running a corporate exchange server with the iphone app and a large project? I am going to try to synch while the phone is plugged into power and see if that helps. But I think the auto lock is the issue.

The Never option is removed if you are connected to an exchange server that requires pin access. Apple automatically removes the Never option as a security measure so that the phone does not remain open.

Some other things to try to help with large project updates:

1) Reboot your device (not just turn off and on). An actual reboot of the device will clear out memory that has been used by other applications and not freed after closing those applications.

2) Keep the device plugged into power when you are updating the project. We do not know why but this seems to help with larger projects.

3) Keep the device from autolocking because when it autolocks the device drops the wifi connection thus terminating the update process.

4) Make sure you have enough physical memory left on the device. The update processes your project and stores information locally on the device so that the application does not have to contact the director every time for information about your project. If your device is full of applications, pictures, movies and the like then there will be little room for the application to store information.

These are just some best practices we have seen.

The Never option is removed if you are connected to an exchange server that requires pin access. Apple automatically removes the Never option as a security measure so that the phone does not remain open.

Some other things to try to help with large project updates:

1) Reboot your device (not just turn off and on). An actual reboot of the device will clear out memory that has been used by other applications and not freed after closing those applications.

2) Keep the device plugged into power when you are updating the project. We do not know why but this seems to help with larger projects.

3) Keep the device from autolocking because when it autolocks the device drops the wifi connection thus terminating the update process.

4) Make sure you have enough physical memory left on the device. The update processes your project and stores information locally on the device so that the application does not have to contact the director every time for information about your project. If your device is full of applications, pictures, movies and the like then there will be little room for the application to store information.

These are just some best practices we have seen.

Good to know :) Thanks!

Archived