C4 Forums | Control4

3 Amps - how to provide inputs?

My project has over 40 speakers and requires 3 multi-channel amps.

But that means I need to take each of my audio sources and feed them into the 3 amps. Is there a simple 3-way audio splitting cable that can do this (like a Y cable but with 3 legs instead of 2)?

Sounds like it would work, but at the expense of adding the matrix switch. Since the amps provide switching, it seems like overkill. But if that's the only way....

What do you mean by "lock the inputs" and how would that be done?

Your dealer will do that, and it will then only allow the amp to do the switching. that way you do not have two different items trying to switch the signal.

Just putting a Y on the cable is not recommended as you will lose some of the signal this way'

Brent

Home many sources do you have?

Y cables are commonly used to split the output of sources. The C4 large design document specifically uses Y cables so I disagree that it is not recommended.

You could probably use audio distributions AMPs to take each of your sources to the 3 AMPs with the matrix switch. You would need one audio AMP for each source. Xantech makes a Audio/Video distribution AMP model AV61 cost $95.00. Cables to Go makes one cost $65.00.

My recommendation would probably still be the matrix switch. A bit more cost but less hassle.

Much appreciate the suggestions. I figure I have the following audio sources:

AUDIO ONLY

1. digital music library on the network storage device

2. FM1 from C4 multi-tuner

3. FM2 from C4 mutli-tuner

4. AM or XM from C4 multi-tuner or from cable TV XM channels

5. iPod dock

AUDIO ASSOCIATED WITH VIDEO

6. Tivo #1 audio

7. Tivo #2 audio (like to have 2 Tivo's for capacity /flexibility)

8. live cable TV channel audio

This assumes that I use this audio distribution for the audio associated with video, and that it isn't routed separately as part of the video distribution (eg over Cat5e baluns).

Archived