C4 Forums | Control4

New distributed video install - need more guidance

Here is the system I am planning on installing in the next 30 days, and I need a little guidance.

HT room Projector, Sony 5400es, LG Blue Ray - 7.2 surround zone - Only HDMI source

Family Room - Integra 7.7 AVR - digital surround zone

Master Bed - Integra 6.6 AVR, 50 inch LCD wall mounted - digital surround zone

Downstairs Rec - Integra 6.6 AVR - digital surround zone

4 other rooms with no AVR and thus stereo sound (hopefully through an existing NUVO sound zone)

Equipment room - exisiting

All AVR's except home theater

Sony 777ES

1 DirecTV HR23-700

1 DirecTV HR22

1 DirecTV SD box - no DVR

Nuvo Grand Concerto

Media Center PC

1 TB NAS drive with music - no video

Home run cat5e/6 cables into a patch panel

GB switch

Wireless N router/AP

IP phone - Vonage

IP phone - MagicJack

proposed list

1 C4 hc300 - control HT, Sony 5400es, Sony 777es (Escient lite), additional USB 1 TB drive and lights

1 digitial video/audio/stereo 8X8 matrix switch (Neopro or shinybow sb-5588)

4 wireless dimmers for HT room

maybe list - 2 HC200's

Serial extender

Wiring:

Master Bed speaker home run to equipment room

Downstairs Rec speakers pulled to equipment room

family room and HT pulled to AVR in room itself

All locations have 2 Cat5e, 1 CAT6, 2 RG6, and 1 5-pin mini COAX to equipment room.

The equipment room is located very close to all of the surround zones (within 20 feet)

I want all surround zones (4) to receive coax digital audio and component video (1080i) and I want all other TV zones (4) to receive stereo sound and component video (1080i)

I do not want any "extra" boxes located by the TV's if it can be helped. My wife wants a single remote system - even if we have more than one identical remote. It is my understanding that I can use the HC300 to control the switch and the other devices. I want to use serial control whenever possible (all 4 AVR's have RS-232) and I do not foresee a time when I would need the GUI in more than 2 places at a time.

Questions:

What is the best configuration for this - keeping budget in mind?

Will my existing wiring do the trick (I can add if needed - crawl space)?

Can I use the HC300 remote to control two different rooms at the same time (i.e. I am in the HT with a movie and my wife is watching DirecTV in another room both controlled by the same HC300)?

Can I bind two C4 remotes to the same HC300 (i.e. - 4 remotes/TVs and one user of the GUI at a time)?

Can I use one HC200 to control 2 locations?

How well does the HC300/HC200 control DirecTV boxes?

Can I use C4 to control the NUVO zones and thus send stereo from the matrix switch to the NUVO zone corresponding to the TV I am watching in a non AVR (digital surround) zone?

My local C4 dealer is great, but I am trying to make sure I understand it all in my mind first.

Thanks in advance,

BBQBrad

BBQBrad

I am by no means an expert on this, but can offer some basic guidance on some of the questions until the guys in the know post:

- If you want the C4 GUI on a TV you will need a HC attached to it. The recommendation is to only have 1 HC attached to one TV. I "believe" it is may be possible to do otherwise, but there will be issues if the two TVs want to access the GUI at the same time.

- any remore (and more than 1) can control any C4 device. You can select the room to control on the remote.

Will leave the rest to the experts. Hope this helps to some degree.

Archived