C4 Forums | Control4

Broken keypad data bus but keypads still powered/lit

I am trying to put a wireless keypad dimmer (KD-120) that controls a load in place of an existing configurable wired keypad (C4-KCB). 

the idea is to run the switch leg from the load to the same electrical wall box that the C4-KCB was in, remove the C4-KCB, and install the KD-120. Then program the KD-120 to control the same things the C4-KCB was controlling in addition to the local load. 

The first step was removing the existing C4-KCB. Doing so seemed to have broken to the data bus. None of the keypads in the house control loads anymore. They all light up still (LED, backlights) but no buttons work. Some of the buttons have leds still on from the state earlier, and all the back lights work, but no panelized lights are being controlled. 

does anyone have any ideas? Any special way we are supposed to go about removing an existing C4-KCB to maintain the bus? Electrician is coming by tomorrow to help troubleshoot more. It’s unclear from the keypad bud wiring guide if things are wired in parallel or series. The fact that the power is working and data is not is quite confusing!

you should be able to remove a KCB and keep everything else functioning as long as you wire-nut all 4 wires (2 power, 2 comm) wires together so that it passes everything through to the next keypad in the chain.

if you did that and its still not working, I'd first try power cycling the Bus Ethernet Gateway and see if that helps.

I have checked and the only two KCB that were removed have their wires wire-nutted together in proper configuration. I have tried powering down the bus, with no change. All keypads are on, circuit is complete, bud not responding to keypad presses. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.