C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat External Sensor

Hammer

I was wondering what the capabilities are of the Thermostat “external sensor”. From C4 Website “Conserve energy by adjusting the HVAC automatically to respond to the outside temperature”

I’m trying to figure out how to better keep the upstairs baby room at a more consistent temperature. Currently my Control4 thermostat is located in another upstairs room and looking to see if there are any creative things I could do with this external sensor capability and/or a second thermostat that doesn’t actually connect tothe HVAC system.

Thoughts or ideas? (Other than moving the existing Thermo and wiring to HVAC)

Thanks

George

If you don't have a thermostat in the room your are trying to control, you can't control it. Control requires you be able to measure actual temperature and compare it to a target temperature, and then effect the HVAC system in some way.

But HVAC systems only operate on zones which are determined by piping/valves or ductwork/dampers. So unless the system was installed with room-level zones you pretty much have to effect the entire zone at the same time.

Have you considered a small wall mount electric heater with it's own thermostat? That will add extra heat to that room and "top off" the temperature of that you get in the entire zone.

I've used these Cadet heaters for that purpose.

http://www.cadetco.com/show_cat.php?catid=1

Archived