C4 Forums | Control4

Decent Media Player for Tisen OS Frame TV by Samsung

I just got a 2021 43" Samsung Frame TV.  It is portrait mode capable ALTHOUGH there are a number of software issues and I believe Samsung themselves are suppressing the capabilities.  A Samsung representative swore up and down that I would get and email from Tech Support on this, I am still waiting.  The moderator on a Samsung blog site shut me down when I tried to help others on this topic.  So, I know and can prove that the 2021 43" Samsung Frame display portrait art (just by tilting the monitor to portrait position) and plays in Portrait (Their Internet app displays in portrait full screen and will play portrait videos full screen). THIS IS AS SUMSUNG ANNOUNCED AT THE CES 2021.  About half of their apps will not run while the TV is fixed in portrait mode. Of those that do run, they are just landscapes in portrait mode.  Samsung also shut down the Tisen App store at the end of last year and I can get no apps other than what they provide on the TV which are few and far between. I cannot even load the crappy media player that they provided before.  Their PLEX app only displays as a landscape in portrait mode.  Any portrait videos can only show up in the small vertical space of that display area and is also squashed.  I think a VLC app would have a full screen portrait app BUT it was never fully developed for the Tisen OS TV, it was intended for the Tisen phones.  I am tempted to try this but I know that Samsung has removed a lot of ways of sideloading programs.  In summery, where can I get a player app that displays full screen in portrait mode for the Tisen OS so I can play files off of my PC?  I do this now for most videos on my landscape only Sony TV which is Android so this is easy and I have at least a half dozen apps to do this. I feel like I am trying to be godlike here but IF AND ONLY IF I can find a single app to work properly, I will keep this TV.  Otherwise, I am much better of getting a better TV much less than 1/2 the price but no Artwork display which is beautiful, but not beautiful enough to pay $800 more for!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.