C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Copycat?

Looks like they are part of the Z-wave group of home automation developers. One thing I noticed is the Composer pragram format seems to be in use a lot lately. The program that is used to program the new Vantage Controls Infusion system is a lot the same as Composer too...

Blake

Yeah, I saw the new Infusion software at EHX in Orlando. I said to the guy, "Gee, that looks familiar" They acted as though they'd never even HEARD of control4. The Vantage guys can be arrogant pricks sometimes, but their product backs it up. I'm anxious to get my hands on some infusion gear.

I would bet we will see alot of this type of product. C4 has the upper-hand being first out of the chute. They also have the advantage of their support. Their support has been nothing less than outstanding. Top that with extensive training, I'd say these clones are going to have a hard time catching up.

Not to be a prick, but catch up to what?

In all honesty, Control4 isn't doing anything ground breaking here. It's actually fairly limited in a couple of very important areas. Granted, the price point is pretty nice. But I'd rather pay more for a product that's gonna work. Anyone here who's accustomed to using Vantage or Crestron knows what I'm talking about. And the inability to create one's own two-way serial drivers is a real bummer. In fact, everything about Control4 seems to be geared towards the lowest common denominator. It's got flashy, although non-intuitive user interfaces, where far too many putton presses are required to do something as simple as playing a song. Besides that, you can't alter the interface! It's got a remote that, well.... you've seen it. I'll admit, reliability has improved somewhat, but I still don't trust it at all. And supposedly it's already finding it's way to the chain stores. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't see myself finding Control4 as THE ONE for my customers. Though I'm sure I'll continue to carry it for the low-end customers.

It's cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I think some of these "copycat" companies will actually have an advantage, in having been able to see Control4's mistakes.

Not to be a prick buster, (its just a funny, no offense)

C4's target market is not the same as Crestron. Think of it this way, C4 and Crestron are both cars. C4 is a Ford Taurus, not too flashy, gets you from point a to point b. The super rich won't be caught dead in one etc. Crestron is a Mercedes S600. Both cars will get you to where you are going. Now think of this, how many Taurus' have been sold compared to the Mercedes?

It's not a low-end product, it's a product that has been streamlined for the masses. One HTC for each TV sold, try that with Crestron...

vSuperna Systems is really interesting. I don't know what to make of the company. Their products, software and even marketing literature seems near identical to Control4. I have not heard much about them for a while (close to a year now) - Their press machine seems to have stagnated over that time. Their owner/director/ceo person is a person with an interesting family background. His name is Oded Vardi, and his father (Yossi Vardi) and brother (Arik Vardi) are the main people behind Mirabilis and the ICQ protocol.

I personally don't worry about them too much. They do make for an interesting diversion however!

Junebug,

Your analogy is dead-on.

As I said, I'll still use C4 for those Taurus owners, until it's available at Wal-Mart.

Can't really blame C4 for going after the mass market.

For the price, it's a dandy.

• 2 weeks later...

Those touch panels look like CorAccess pieces. I am sure CorAccess is just OEMing them but if they are operating on the same software for control I think they're in trouble. After watching and installing CorAccess years ago they've always had very buggy software, and VERY limited support. They may have improved over this last year since I've not kept up with them as much.

Archived