C4 Forums | Control4

apple Time capsule can share mp3 songs?

willl

Hi,

I am doing investigation on time capsule as it got mix reviews.. but i like many things about it.

my question here is if i am to put this time capsule directly to cable modem to the outside world and from inside, connect it with procurve 1700-24 switch to do c4 gears (c4 amp, media players, hc300x2, hc-300x1 and 3-4 panasonic cameras).

1. Am i able to strem musics stored in time capsule (mp3 of course) throughout control4 system? do we need to look for other switch (currently look at 1700 procurve) that requires layer 3 or static route?

2. am i able to stream music from my apple notebook connected to time capsule wirelessly (via time capsule of course) on control4 system? plan to use airport express to play itunes music to one of inputs of C4 amp.

thanks in advance for the helpers.

Use the Apple Time Capsule for backup, router and WAP only. Don't get too fancy with it - then use a AppleTV as a source for both MP3 storage and you can stream to it from your computer.

i already have 2TB time capsule and would love to use it to the full extend, i.e., serving as a NAS to store not just musics but movies. I think AppleTV is a good device but being 160GB appleTV seems inadequacy.

Your recommendation come from it being impossible for control4 (media player and/or HC?) to stream the music and movie stored in timecapsule? or because it will financially and practically impossible to do this?

thanks again.

Archived