C4 Forums | Control4

Sort of "intro to Control4" thread on remotecentral

When reading this post I was immediately reminded of the marketing observation that one unhappy client tells 7 other people, while a happy client only tells 3 people. Bad news spreads quicker (and gets distorted more) than good news.

There seems to be a little good and a little bad mentioned on all the forums. I still feel like Control4 fills a void that no other company has yet attempted. For me - I really like what a broad range of clients it can make accessible. Most of the people that I have worked with up until now have had to be new construction, but now I can target remodels and retrofit locations.

I was surprised at how many people mentioned they have little to no contact with their rep. That seems odd to me, but I guess I'm not overly surprised as I have not heard from mine since June.

Blake

There has been more bashing of C4 on Remotecentral than praise and most of it seems to come from those who haven't even used the system . Now, whenever I see this, I post a link to this site (and http://www.mdaoe.com/smf/) so that people can get a more balanced view of C4 from those that are ACTUALLY installing and using it .

This is one of the reasons that I replied to that post. I have installed Control 4, own it, and plan to use it in the future.

Is it perfect, is anything??? It all comes down to how you use the system, and what you expect of it. It can do exactly what you need, just don’t expect it to more then they designed it for.

My 2cents

thanks for the addition, ttocs. I think all of us here are in agreement with you in your posts on RC. The product is not perfect and it's improving by leaps and bounds (with a responsive support staff, and pretty consistent bug fix releases). Additionally, you hit the nail on the head when you said "...if I tried to do one of the other two [major players in my new house] there is no way that I could afford to do the system, so…"

Welcome to the board. Andy.

Yeah, It always amazes me the amount of people that are willing to bash a product like this so early. I would bet my right leg that there are less problems with C4 in their startup than Crestron or AMX. Plus C4 sales in our store outsold Crestron in 6 months, compared to 18 months of Crestron sales. With only a few service calls that we haven't been able to fix through remote.

...C4 sales in our store outsold Crestron in 6 months, compared to 18 months of Crestron sales. With only a few service calls that we haven't been able to fix through remote.

This sounds indicative of the response we're getting, BaZa. It's a great response for Control4. People come to us saying "is this stuff real", and they leave our showroom ramped and excited because it does perform better than they could have imagined. Even I'm impressed with how well this equipment works on version 1.0. And the way Control4 incorporated Zigbee into their devices is genius (as well as stable, and incredibly scalable, in my opinion). The naysayers definitely should check out what it is capable of, instead of what it isn't... especially for the money. Andy.

Archived