C4 Forums | Control4

Amplifier Volume Control

chambrick

C4, is there anything that can be done to the amp as it exists today to be manage volume better.

After someone spends $2K on an amp, I don't want to tell them that it would work better if they spend another $1.5K on an additional piece.

I understand the plan was to make a product line with a lower price point to reach the masses but it seems in your efforts almost every product has at least one thing missing that keeps it from being the right fit.

• 2 months later...

One problem I had the other day was after I did a hard reset of the Amp per C4 support, when the system came back on, 3 of the zones played at MAX volume which not only woke up the whole neighboorhood, it may have damaged the outside rock speakers. What if their system goes down at night because of a power outage and after it comes back up will it do the same thing? We have them on a voltage regulator but if the power goes out it will bring all devices down.

Also, what would cause the volume to spike after switching through different sources of audio? For instance, when we are outside listening to Tuner audio off the receiver, if we switch to digital audio off the MC it will often times spike up and we have to immediately start voluming down on the remote.

Thanks!

Ouch, that hurts. I hope that was a one-time fluke.

Speaking of volume, has anyone using a Matrix Switch set the output volume above -18 on the amps? I have found anything above that in a quiet room and you hear a very high frequency tone/digital noise out of the speakers.

Also, what would cause the volume to spike after switching through different sources of audio? For instance, when we are outside listening to Tuner audio off the receiver, if we switch to digital audio off the MC it will often times spike up and we have to immediately start voluming down on the remote.

Is this related to different signal strengths from the two devices? Are the mp3s always louder than the tuner off the receiver? Is this something that happens intermittently when you change the input on a room through the amp? I realise you say "often times", but I am intrigued. Do you think you can quantify it with a percentage?

At this job it has probably happened about 25% of the time. It is always when I am either going from Tuner audio to the Digital audio off the MC or going from the Cable TV audio to the digital audio off the MC. Both the cable TV /Tuner Receiver/ MC are all being fed through the switch, into the AMP, and outside to the speakers. The spikes occur when I got to the digital audio from another source of audio...

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask a side bar regarding volume control? I'm wondering if the volume control is being done in the audio matrix switch portion or the power amp circuitry within the 16 channel amp.

If the problem is in the power amp circuitryat this time, we could use the audio matrix switch and go with a standard multi-channel amp. I realize this may costs more but at least you don't piss off your customers. I believe it's far more important to protect your reputation and brand and provide consistent reliable services to your customers than to offer a lower priced inconsistent service - the latter will result in higher service maintenance costs of existing customers and loss of potential referal sales from their lack of confidence in you.

could u use a Russound Cav6 amp and use the serial interface for control of volume and switching? Has anybody used it as an alternative? I am getting ready to do a test run in my showroom with the 16 channel amp but I am curious what everybody has come up with as an alternative.

Finally, maybe off topic a little, I have a 16 channel amp, 2 MTS's, and an HTC speced in for a restaurant (which may end up changing if I can come up with a more RELIABLE solution) and I want to be able to allow the client to come in and push one button and activate all zones and have them ramp to a preset level. is this possible? if it is possible can I also make it so that at a certain time of the night the volume automatically ramps to a higher level as the restaurant gets louder (or as people get more intoxicated)?

-alex

I've noticed the Full Volume occur on Spkr points taken right out of the box and installed in the network. C4 ought to make all audio equipment default to 1 volume upon navigator refresh or reconnection to the director, else it ought to remain where it was last played. Can't C4 do that easily?.. marcel

Archived