C4 Forums | Control4

For Sale: ThinkFlood RedEye iPhone/iPod Touch Universal Remote

spugh

I have a really cool little gadget for sale. I bought this before I got too far down the road with C4. Essentially it's a docking station for an iPhone or iPod Touch that has a wifi radio and IR emitters around the base. You install a free app from the app store, set up the base station to connect to your wireless network, and use the app to send commands over wifi to the base station which translates them into IR. I bet one of you ingenuitive guys on here could even write something to turn this into an IP to IR bridge for C4.

I bought it from someone who had it in a display shelf at their store, but I never really used it, so it's like new in the box. They are selling for $188 online, but I'm asking $150. let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Steve

Description below:

TURN YOUR IPHONE OR IPOD TOUCH INTO A UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL!

RedEye is your personal remote control.

With the RedEye system you can use your iPhone or iPod touch to control your TV, stereo, cable box, DVD player, and many other devices that receive standard (infrared) signals. In other words, no more hunting through your sofa cushions for all those different remotes – all the control you need is right in your pocket.

Personal.

Each person in your house can use her own iPhone or iPod touch as a controller, and more than one controller can interact with your gear simultaneously.

Simple.

One touch launches any activity – watch TV, listen to music, play a video. And custom screen layouts for each activity mean you never have to hunt for the right button.

Smart.

Multi-touch gestures for common functions, free software upgrades delivered through iTunes, the ability to control different rooms from anywhere in the house – all cheaper than other universal remotes.

How Does It Work?

Your iPhone or iPod touch communicates with the RedEye device via Wi-Fi, which sends commands to your home entertainment center via infrared

What Do I Need?

A hardware device and a free App available on iTunes are all you need to turn your iPhone or iPod touch into a remote control.

After you install the RedEye app (a free download from iTunes) on your iPhone or iPod touch, you can communicate with the RedEye device over Wi-Fi. Then the RedEye device sends out infrared signals to control your equipment. Because the RedEye device is in the same room as your equipment, you don’t have to be. Instead, you can control your living room stereo from the kitchen, or turn off the TV upstairs.

My guess is that this is not going to be a big seller here. In general, C4 adopter like the system because is goes away from IR control which is limited by possibilities for dislodged IR transmitters, sunlight interference of IR transmitters, and in the case of Redeye - need to maintain line of sight. If given a choice, C4 users choose IP, or RS-232 control. Although there are plenty of hardware pieces that still require IR control, use of something like Red-Eye is essentially an unneeded step. C4 uses zigbee wireless control, it can translate to IR control at the hardware if needed. As for Iphone/Itouch control that can be done via a very well written Control UI app.

I agree with all that srhamy. However, I do know that there are a at least a few people here who have no yet installed C4 in their homes, usually due to not yet being able to afford the components. This is an alternative to controlling devices in another room, albeit much more limited than a C4 system. I'm thinking this product is more geared toward a small apartment, that has a living room with some AV gear and a receiver that has a 2nd zone AV out to a bedroom. The RedEye would be an alternative to something like an RF universal remote in the living room to control the other sources.

When I made the comment about someone being able to come up with a way to use this as an IR gateway with C4, I was thinking of something along the lines of it being an IP-controlled (over Wi-Fi) IR blaster in a remote room with a TV as an alternative to running a cat5 for an IR blaster (or RS232) from an HC300 in the central wiring closet.

I wasn't suggesting this was in any way a competitor to C4, but who knows who might have a kid in college who would think this with the free iPhone/iPod app would be a cool alternative to a universal remote. :P

Thanks,

Steve

Archived