C4 Forums | Control4

Static IPs and Linksys Routers

I am planning on giving my C4 installs all static IPs for the C4 components, but I hear that the C4 Amp can't be set up with a static IP. How do I get the Amp to receive an IP address without a wireless laptop coming in and swiping the Amp's typical address in the case of a router reboot? Will this even affect the system, or should I not be worried if the amp's IP changes by a .1?

As a computer/network goes, static IP's for these type of devices is prefered. My MC is staitc.

However, you are right about the amp, and I could not get my amp to communicat over Zigbee without first connecting ethernet, syncing with the MC and updating. Now I have the ethernet disconnected.

I would assume that some device in the install is running DHCP, so you should be able to use that to get things setup.

Robert

You can Assign the Amp a static ip Address if you have a DHCP server that will allow you to set reservations for Mac Addresses. Basically you will put the Mac address and the desired IP into the Router / DHCP Server and whenever the Amp looks for an address it will always give it that one.

does something like that disable the ability to allow dhcp addressing

nope. DHCP still works fine and dandy.

or does it simply make that IP available to only the assigned mac address?

Exactly.

specifically for the linksys?

This is not specific to linksys, no. Yes linksys has this feature, and it's generally a function of DHCP servers (and other residential routers).

Andy

Just remember that this is not setting a static IP on the Amp, but forcing a long lease on the DHCP server (router). It will accomplish the same thing, until you change routers, update firmware (possibly), etc.

The concern is that the IP is still controlled by the router, not the device and if the router changes, the device IP will change...true static IP's don't have this issue...

Good times.

Archived