C4 Forums | Control4

New Home Control4 Setup Advice

Well, first of all combing two 4x4 to make an 8x8 isn't going to work....flat out.

Second, the octava unit outputs of 2x cat cable, requiring just a balun on one end. If you've got any runs that are very long, using an actual HDMI cable will be a huge PITA.

The Monoprice switches are dirt cheap, and I have a friend that uses on successfully, but me personally - I would spend a little more money and get something proven.

I am sure there are people with better technological minds than me that can point out profound differences.

Has anyone used the Octava switch before? It looks intriguing to me.

Yes, I understand that 8x8 will not work. I was imagining more of a 6x6 rig. However, we will use 2 of these, with specific tv's on those switches. One switch will provide for runs of 50ft and under with regular hdmi. The other switch will provide for runs of 100ft and over with hdmi baluns on both ends.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4X8 unit seems to be priced right. If it were 8 X 8 it would be a steal. Anyone used any of these or even seen one in action?

We looked at some these types of switches but we could not understand/justify the price difference in comparison with the monoprice hdmi matrix. Our mentality is to start out with these and get a feel for the control4 system and achieve normal functionality. When hdmi 8x8 matrix switches drop in price then we will consider them again. Is there something drastic I'm missing out on to justify the $1' date='500 difference?[/quote']

$2292 for a 4X8 HDMI Matrix over baluns with the receivers included in that price. Sounds too good to be true. That's why I wondered if anyone has actually seen or used one.

4 inputs is a little on the low side for me. I would rather have 2 - 4x4's and designate specific TV's to the switches. It looks like an awesome deal though. Here is another comparable one that can be upped to 16 outputs.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x8-hdmi-matrix-switcher.html

We looked at some these types of switches but we could not understand/justify the price difference in comparison with the monoprice hdmi matrix. Our mentality is to start out with these and get a feel for the control4 system and achieve normal functionality. When hdmi 8x8 matrix switches drop in price then we will consider them again. Is there something drastic I'm missing out on to justify the $1' date='500 difference?[/quote']

$2292 for a 4X8 HDMI Matrix over baluns with the receivers included in that price. Sounds too good to be true. That's why I wondered if anyone has actually seen or used one.

4 inputs is a little on the low side for me. I would rather have 2 - 4x4's and designate specific TV's to the switches. It looks like an awesome deal though. Here is another comparable one that can be upped to 16 outputs.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x8-hdmi-matrix-switcher.html

They have 4 X 4's for $1350

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethernet%20matrix%20switch%204x4.html

Second, the octava unit outputs of 2x cat cable, requiring just a balun on one end. If you've got any runs that are very long, using an actual HDMI cable will be a huge PITA.

But you have the option of using a Cat cables or the HDMI, so if you have 2 cat cables available there shouldn't be an issue, correct? Or am I missing some other possible problem?

I e-mailed their support, and they said that they didn't have any plans for an 8x8 at the moment, and they also didn't know of anyone who had attempted use with a C4 system. All of the reviews I've found on the 4x2 & 4x4 switches have been good, so I'm going to take a chance.

• 2 months later...

Archived