C4 Forums | Control4

Crappy Friday - Crashed HTC

A funny thing happened to me on Friday at about 4:30pm - The Zigbee server on my client's master HTC crashed, for no apparent reason. I tried turning off the zigbee server and restarting it, I tried changing channels on the master, but no matter what I did, I could not get the system remotes to control anything set on the master HTC. I cleared the project and tried re-adding it, nothing. I called tech and turned on the zigbee server and director on the second HTC after shutting down the master, and could control fine. I also changed zigbee channels on the remotes and the secondary HTC, worked fine. As soon as I went back to the master, nothing. Not with re-creating a new project, changing zigbee channels, soft-rebooting, or hard-rebooting. The funny thing is, the zigbee server showed as "running", and I was able to change channels, but at no time could I control even the OSD on the master with either of the system remotes, after changing their zigbee channels as well, of course. I even updated the master HTC through system manager, but nothing changed for the better. I ended up having to spend another 2 hours creating the program from scratch on the secondary HTC, which of course I made the new master. I didn't dare try loading the old project out of sheer terror that there was something in the program causing the server to stop functioning. The end result is I got the system to start working again, but on the old master HTC the OSD just sat at "reconnecting...", and I can no longer control it via a system remote. The new master HTC said the same thing (reconnecting...) upon restart, but I was at least able to go into Info and change the director that it was trying to connect to, in this case, 127.0.0.1 (loopback) instead of the static IP I set for it when I did the network setup, 192.168.1.1. For what reason, I'm not sure. I'm going to get an RMA for the old master HTC and swap it out, and leave the programming as is, at this point. My posting isn't much more than a "dammit, OS failure or freeze" comment, but I thought I should share with everyone, in case anyone else has experienced similar problems.

I've had the same thing happen to me. The System Manager showed the Zigbee Server was on but when I telneted into the controller it was disabled. I enabled it and it was then OK. I've told Control4 about this and they were perplesed on how this could happen.

Rob

Archived