C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 AVM-HTC1-B

neildilgee

I have a hc300 1.82 setup with about 30 nodes. ( Dimmers, speaker pts, I/O ext ). I received a Control 4 AVM-HTC1-B . But now, will i have any benifits by adding this to my projet except the fact of the extra inputs/ outputs? What i need is a little more speed and stability on my system. I've read on the forum that i can only use it as a slave controller. Also that i can run it as a ZAP controller ( whatever that means) Could someone please clarify?

You will be able to have the HTC added to your project and can offload some of the processing to it.

The HTC makes a great ZAP and will provide you with additional I/O in the form of IR, serial and audio out. THe HTC can also provide you with another Navigator. ZigBee coordinator will still have to run on the HC-300.

A ZAP is a ZigBee Access Point. ZAPs are used to distribute the ZigBee signal to multiple location in your home. For large system in big homes ZAP are very useful. It sounds like you have a good mesh now so using a ZAP will probably not gain much other that moving that processing off the HC-300. ZAP does not use that much resources so the gain will be minimal.

If you wanted to run Navigator on the HTC you could then disable Navigator on the HC-300. This would give you your biggest speed increase since Navigator uses a lot of resources. The HTC is only standard def so you would not have a 720P output like you did on the HC-300.

Bottom line is that unless you move Navigator off the HC-300 to the HTC you will really not gain much more speed from adding the HTC to you system but you will have more I/O.

Alan thank you so much for all that info, you made it very clear and easy to understand. Just one detail, when you say remove the navigator, do you mean just unplug it and plug in the htc or remove it within the project?

You are welcome.

I mean disable on it the HC-300 in the project in system manager. This will stop the program that provides the Navigator screen from running on the HC-300 and free the resources (basically the memory and processor cycles) from being used and allow then to be used by Director.

Director uses the most system resources on a C4 system. Navigator uses the second most resources. One way to speed up a system is to run Director and Navigator on separate dedicated controllers.

Archived