C4 Forums | Control4

Can't connect to HTC

Hey guys,

I am trying to connect to a HTC at a customer's place. Both the HTC and my computer are hardwired into the router. When I open up composer, it sees the HTC, but when I click connect, an error pops up saying that I can't connect to the HTC at 192.168.1.2. I don't have any firewalls on my computer, which is still working fine with our store's display system. I have tried two routers, two laptops, multiple cables, and two home theater controllers, and for the life of me I still can't figure out what is blocking it.

Is there ANY way some goofy firewall that I'm overlooking on two laptops could be working at one house and not the other?

Also, currently that router is not hooked up to internet. Is that another possible source of our problem?

Thanks for the help!

The router not having internet access could be a problem, but shouldn't be. I know this sounds elementary, but most times with C4 it is. Try doing a power cycle reboot on both the HTC and the router, make sure that there is no conflict of IP adddresses. Check to see if you can ping the HTC from the DOS prompt on your computer.

Make sure initially that you only have the computer and the HTC wired to the router.

Vic

No problem with no internet access. I've installed quite a few controllers that never even end up connected to a network, just functions as a system controller.

See if you can see the HTC in the system manager (as if you wanted to update it). If so, then make sure director is running. This is the only thing I've ever had problems with. Maybe the controller was a slave in another system, like a test system or during a troubleshooting session.

Do you have windows firewall, another firewall application, spyware software, etc. running? All of these have the ability to block controllers. This was one of the first things we were told at training.

Oh yeah, please be sure to return here and let us know what it was!

I have a similar situation. Controller on line and able to read by Composer from two diferent computers (one of them is wireless) at different times, but Composer in a third computer cannot see the controller. Even if I try to connect manually and type the IP address it will not connect. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have a similar situation. Controller on line and able to read by Composer from two diferent computers (one of them is wireless) at different times, but Composer in a third computer cannot see the controller. Even if I try to connect manually and type the IP address it will not connect. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check all of the things I said in the above post. These are the main reasons you might not be able to see the controller.

C4 Kernel and Composer both need to have access through any software firewall, just as an example. Disable all of the program types listed above one at a time and try to connect again. Check with the system manager for the controller from that same computer. Can you ping the controller from the computer?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still working on it. There is no software that is running on my computer that would block it. It's the weirdest thing.

As for your first comment, do you mean check out system manager in Composer? I can't even connect into the HTC to get to that point unfortunately. I'll be sure to let everyone know what the problem is when I finally figure it out.

Thanks again!

Tell composer that you want to connect to a virtual controller then open system manager in Composer. This will still look on the network for controllers. Then you can see if director is on or not and the status of everything else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still working on it. There is no software that is running on my computer that would block it. It's the weirdest thing.

Are you saying that you don't have antivirus, spyware software, or anything else like this on your computer? That's hard to believe because Composer only runs on Windows...

Archived