C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 in a Showroom

Shane

I've just been asked by my boss to use Control4 to manage our (very small) showroom. The room has four walls, and on each wall there is a video monitor of some sort, with its own sound system arranged to suit the viewing position. The boss is looking for a way to use C4 to easily move between each setup, highlighting the AV product, and also C4.

I'm thinking that I can create each wall as its own room, but there are a few challenges in the design.

1. Each 'room' currently has its own receiver, so that it can send the proper LCR/surround info to the speakers in that 'room'.

2. All video is coming in from one HD source, which is actually physically located in a separate room.

3. One pop-up screen and one drop down motorized screen are controlled by IR, not relay.

If anyone can tell me if this is even possible, and if so, can it be done with one Media Controller and four separate A/V receivers? Should I use a separare HTC for each of the 3 other rooms slaved to the main Media Controller? Sorry if this question seems rather base, or is in the wrong section of the form, but I would certainly appreciate anyone's input on how I should go about this.

Thanks

Shane

It's definitely possible, it's actual perfect in the circumstances you are faced with. It's good to have an HTC for each screen just for the OSD but with 1.3 you can easily switch between rooms quickly. So you could technically use one or two htc's split for all the screens. It will switch rooms pretty much as fast as it takes to switch inputs on the tv.

Are you a dealer? Where are you located?

Hi Dan - I am to be the C4 installer for an newly-approved dealer in Canada. My first project will be the showroom, so I'm trying to get my info together before I start the actual design. I just finished my Tech 1 training in SLC, so it's all quite new to me. I appreciate the responses so far.

Can I ask a newb question and ask how a video switcher interfaces with C4? I know there are drivers available for some switches out there, but how does the switch appear on the C4 Navigator so that the user can select video source(s)? Video wasn't really covered in the training.

Thanks

Shane

Video works just like Audio.... It's fairly straightforward. You hook the Video Switch up via serial or IR and the rest is taken care of.

The user never actually controls the switch, the system finds the video path and routes the switch accordingly.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Our first order from C4 arrived today and tomorrow is the moment (OK, hours) of truth. The showroom project begins. Any tips for controlling a room where you have more than one viewing 'destination'? We have one wall that has a plasma, but also has a screen that will drop down in front of it. Would the best way to differentiate between which destination screen to use be to create a separate room in Composer for each scenario? A custom button?

Lastly - can the same physical device be 'placed' in multiple rooms in the project, or would Composer think the Denon receiver appearing in each room is a physically separate device?

Thanks

Shane

Archived