C4 Forums | Control4

My Home "i" Device licenses

dgbrown

While provided in the context of book purchases, I'm left wondering what this means for the Control4 My Home licenses. While the apps are free in Apple's app store, a purchase is required outside the app in order to activate it.

Perhaps it doesn't pertain to this model but it seems to me there may be some grey area.

It looks like Apple is cracking down (From MacRumors.com today)

Apple's made no change to its App Store Guidelines, it's simply enforcing a rule that's been in them all along: apps that offer purchases elsewhere must support in-app purchases as well. We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines," company spokesperson Trudy Miller told me.

It was a great move for Apple to foresee that people would try to circumnavigate paying Apple their cut, put this little rule in place and wait to enforce it. Now that the app store is well entrenched in peoples and business life the app developers will have little choice but to allow Apple their cut or your app won't sell.

this could cause the first "crossroad" for the c4 dealer system? Theoretically, a user will have to pay for the app when they download it now ( and this is possible because c4 gobbled up ControlUI) -- the dealer will still have to install it, but the end user will have to buy direct.

add all of this together and you get yet another dealer pain in the ass!

(sorry I am venting my dealer frustration, all I want is to get a NAS added to my system, and another s250 and I am 3 emails and a call in over the past 2 weeks with zero response!)

Archived