C4 Forums | Control4

IR in/out from plasma to MC

dvollmer

I am getting ready to buy a plasma soon and then c4 MC sometime afterwards. I have keyed in on the Panasonic TH-42PX600U. Am I correct to think that since the plasma has an IR output, I can hook that up to IR input on c4 MS (I already ran IR wire as part of new construction) and be able to control everything hooked up to the MC?

Are there other plasmas that have this capability?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

If it has IR in - then yes, you could do that.

The TH-42PX600U manual says IR Out (i.e., if you wanted to control a VCR, etc through the TV). So I guess that means I can't use that for MC to control HDTV, right?

Any "prettier" ways other than using MC IR emitters to control HDTV?

Correct, the IR out will not work.. if you have line of sight, you could place a "inwall" style IR blaster ( or any concealable IR Blater ) positioned in the room soemwhere so that it hits the TV and isnt eaisly blocked. I ahve done this many times with great results.

look here for an example

http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html#XA-38020

I don't recommend these methods that SRSAudio suggests, ONLY because now you can't control if the signal DOES in fact get to the plasma or not (ie: someone standing in the way). So if there is no IR input and no serial input - then you're forced to do one of two things:

1) Put the IR blaster on the front (get one that doesn't light up and tuck all the extra wire away).

2) Put the IR blaster INSIDE (requires opening the Plasma display up - and most likely voiding the warranty - but it's out of sight).

I don't recommend these methods that SRSAudio suggests, ONLY because now you can't control if the signal DOES in fact get to the plasma or not (ie: someone standing in the way). So if there is no IR input and no serial input - then you're forced to do one of two things:

1) Put the IR blaster on the front (get one that doesn't light up and tuck all the extra wire away).

2) Put the IR blaster INSIDE (requires opening the Plasma display up - and most likely voiding the warranty - but it's out of sight).

can you recommend any IR blasters that don't light up???

I concur on the someone in the way deal, ran into this and went to IR blaster on the front.

IR blaster on the front is a little ugly, but most people don't notice...especially if the wires are concealed and it doesn't light up as suggested....It works quite reliably though....

Dave C

How about a different plasma display, one with a serial connection or IR input? Pioneer displays come to mind and they are all discrete codes.

Fujitsu and LG both have serial connections on many of their models.

Otherwise I would suggest, like Dan did, to get a non-flashing emitter for the front of the display or opening the display itself and tucking the emitter inside.

Archived