C4 Forums | Control4

Wiring question

Ringold

does anyone know if you can use a component video cable to run an ir signal for control? I have an extra in wall component cable and need a cable for ir to control a tv.

If so, can you provide any details on how to wire it?

Thanks in advance

Yeah you can do it, but in the end it is not the best type of cable for this. Strip the cable back to expose the copper and the weave.. Cut and strip ir emitter (if a c4 emitter you will notice a copper stran and a sliver one in color) does not matter what end connects to what as long as you do it the same on the other end. If it is wrong the ir will go hot where the emitter light will turn on and stay on.

So, if I understand you right, I should take one single component wire and cut it to expose the shielded copper and the center wire. i should then connect the gold ir wire to the center wire, and then connect the surrounding shielded copper from the same component wire to the silver on the IR wire. Is that correct?

Or would it be better to use the center wire from two of the three component cables?

What do you mean that it is not the best to use? Does the signal degrade over long distance more than a cat6 wire?

Thanks for your input

I would just get some RCA to 3.5mm adapters instead of splicing cable. Get some at monoprice.com ... Also the signal should be nice and strong since the wiring is a lot thicker than cat6.

So, if I understand you right, I should take one single component wire and cut it to expose the shielded copper and the center wire. i should then connect the gold ir wire to the center wire, and then connect the surrounding shielded copper from the same component wire to the silver on the IR wire. Is that correct?

Or would it be better to use the center wire from two of the three component cables?

What do you mean that it is not the best to use? Does the signal degrade over long distance more than a cat6 wire?

Thanks for your input

Yes you have it correct, there is no need to use two cables when one can do it. Sorry but someone else just posted about using a 3.5mm jack.... This sounds even better and would be a much cleaner installation.

I would never use a coax cable for this as cat5 would be my 1st choice, but you use what you have right!

This might work

http://www.computercablestore.com/Coaxial_Adapter_F_Type_Fe_PID2316.aspx

but you would need a ff adapter too.

I used 3.5mm extension cables to extend my long run (up to approx 35') ir emitters. The stereo cables worked as well as did mono cables. The web site henniae pointed too had them in varying lengths up to 50'

http://www.computercablestore.com/50_FT_Stereo_Audio_Extens_PID8690.aspx

Archived