C4 Forums | Control4

Neat way to sense power of pumps, motors, fans, etc.

My cousin is an industrial electrician in the Seattle area. He recently turned me on to Veris Industries, who among other things make a Current Transducing switch that simply clips over any electrical wire and has a normally open contact that closes when it senses power.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.veris.com/Item/H600.aspx

One of my customers has a new hybrid hot water heater in a mechanical room with one of his furnaces. He wanted to be able to sense when the heat pump on the hot water heater turned on, and have C4 fire commands accordingly. We have it programmed to turn the furnace fan on when the heat pump turns on so that warm air will cycle through the mechanical room for the hot water heater. We just took a 2 conductor from the Veris H600 to the contact on the back of an HC300. You could use it to sense power on pretty much anything.

The customer has also created a unique email address in gmail just for data logging through Control4. Everytime the heat pump on the hot water heater kicks on, it sends an email with a time and date stamp, and then another when it shuts off. So we have a very nice way of seeing how often and for how long the heat pump is running.

Archived