C4 Forums | Control4

dimmer and switch keep falling off the network

I have a C4 dimmer and a lighting switch housed in a double gang box that seem to keep falling off the network. They are located on the far side of the pool away from the house, 60 feet away from the HTC (which is behind a wall, glass, cabinetry) and about 55 feet away from the next closest zigbee device (switch inside).

I posit the issue is distance, tho 50/60 feet did not seem like that much. If I walk outside with the remote, I can generally (but not always) get the switch/dimmer to function. If I walk over to the switch and dimmer and tap on them, they seem to immediately rejoin the network.

Do I have faulty devices? Is there any way I can juice the range? Am I SOL?

Thanks in advance...

• 1 year later...

I am also having the same trouble with dimmers 'falling offline'. What is making it hard for me is the fact that it isn't the same dimmer each time. I can get them to go online with a simple dimmer reboot. This however is getting old, as one per week is falling. My question is how does the controller stay in contact with the dimmer? Knowing how this works might help me find some solution to make this system more stable. Things I am going to try are installing a UPS at the controller. I may even try getting two zigbee servers going, split the channels in an effort to reduce channel traffic on one server, however I am a very hesitant to do this unsupported feature. If I get a solution I will post. If anyone else is having this trouble I would love to hear about it.

Over and Out.

Archived