C4 Forums | Control4

AppleTV2 versus Airport Express for strictly streaming audio

arboleda

I bought both on a whim. Tried out the wireless access point features on the airport express but decided that it doesn't really help me (partly because it needs to live in the equipment room in the basement and partly because I'd rather keep my wireless infrastructure separate).

So... They both work for me to stream audio to from iPhones (and they're they connected into my C4 Audio Matrix -> Amps).

Can you think of pro's / con's between the two devices, strictly for the audio streaming?

One argument for the airport express is that it exposes analog audio whereas the AppleTV exposes digital audio. In my case, that means one extra piece to convert the digital audio -> analog, but not that big a deal.

I think I lean towards the apple TV because it does leave me the option of using it for its video purposes (primarily netflix streaming).

One interesting thing I ran into is that the AppleTV did an HDCP choke on my cheapy monoprice 4x1 HDMI switch when I tried to watch Netflix. However, when I bypassed the 4x1 I had no issues.

Archived