C4 Forums | Control4

Help on setting up HC300

Yhan

Hi

I just bought an HC300-E-B, running 1.7.3.68. In order to activate it, what license/activation key do I need ?

* I want to use our iPads as remote devices

* I downloaded ComposerHE, it asks for a 4sight license, do I really need this ?

The background of our project, is a new house we are going to build next year, in order to plan properly the home automation setup, I want a unit with a bunch of dimers or switches to figure out how to use it.

We are going to hire a C4 dealer, for now, I want to do some pipe cleaning with this unit.

I know they are some caveats doing this as DYI project, this is why I'm asking for advices.

As a bunch of users in this forum, I'm a networker (mainly Cisco and expert level certified), so technology doesn't scares me. Somehow, this is a computer running an OS with some code to manage the remote devices.

Thanks !

Johan

I've heard that you can download 1.74 composer pro from a bittorrent or similar type site to unofficially program and create a project.

Simply add it to your project, then go to update manager and update the HC300 to 1.74 to match the version of composer pro.

Enjoy.

To build a project you need ComposerPRO which is officially available only to dealers but is rumored to exist in the wild-YMMV. Once the project is built and all the devices are added you can use ComposerHE to do any and all programming. The programming capabilities of HE are essentially identical to PRO....you just can't add new devices or make connections between devices. To activate HE you need to register your system and buy a HE license from a dealer for $149.00.

Since you are planning to use a dealer eventually, maybe you should get him on board now to help you plan the prewire. He could also build you a testbed system on your 300 that you can exercise with HE.

Thanks DrDSL.

I will get in touch with the dealer to build a testbed system.

I'm going to get a few devices, like switches and dimmer to install on a test board with a few bulbs. I'm getting all excited with all the possibilities I could do with the unit.

Regarding the 300 capabilities, what is the limit of the unit ?

* is there any limit of the number of devices that the unit can control ?

* when should I get a hc1000 on top of the hc300 ?

Yhan,

It's going to depend on whether you have a HC-300, HC-300B or HC300C unit. The C unit has a faster processor. The maximum capacity of a HC300 is going to depend on lots of factors like number of devices, simultaneous audio streams, and whether or not you are using the video out on-screen navigator. Your dealer has access to a Performance Calculator program that can quantify this accurately.

For example, you could safely run the Director OS, Zigbee Server and ZAP, two simultaneous Rhapsody streams, three touchscreens, and 50 Zigbee devices and _no_ on-screen navigator (takes a lot of resources) on a HC300C

Archived