C4 Forums | Control4

Need ideas for A/V distribution

stash

Hi , have a question about some best practices for A/V distribution. I am planning on installing a whole house audio system and potentially a video distribution system this fall. I want to understand some best practices so that I can maximize the benefit of the system while minimizing cost. I currently have a C4 system and am thinking of adding the 16X16 switch plus external amps for distribution of mp3, fm radio, sat radio, ipod, and audio from directv boxes to 12 zones.

I am also thinking about doing a video distribution system. I would prefer to set myself up for an HDMI distribution system in the future. My sources are 3 directv HD dvr's, PS3(for blu-ray and future video server), and several control 4 on-screen interfaces. Right now I only need to send video to our great room, master bedroom, and guest bedroom, each has it's own directv receiver. I was thinking of doing a work around system to start with by using the HDMI switching in my Denon 4806 for the great room and buying an inexpensive HDMI switching receiver like the onkyo 605 for the master bedroom and fishing an HDMI cable to each of the locations. This would allow me to have each an independent DVR for each location, an independent control4 interface for the great room and master bed, and share the PS3 feed in the great room and master bedroom by using an HDMI splitter at the head end.

So my questions are:

1) should I use separate systems for audio and video distribution? pro's and cons?

2) is HDMI video distribution a good choice for the future. I believe gefen has a 4X4 HDMI matrix switch right now and I would would wait for an 8X8 solution.

3) would it be better to go with a component video and analog audio solution?

4) if I go with a component video solution (8x8), should I also use this as an audio distribution system and just compromise a little on zones and sources?

Right now I am thinking about going with separate systems, doing the control4 audio distribution solution, doing the workaround video distribution solution using HDMI receivers, and pulling HDMI to each room for a future HDMI video distribution system. I would hate to make the wrong decision on which cables to pull, component with analog audio vs HDMI.

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

I never looked really hard but i am using quality component video cables to one 50" HD Panny plasma, and HDMI to another 50" HD Panny plasma - connected to Motorola cable box and can't really see the difference.

That said - right now you probably better of running HDMI - get the in-wall rated cables from monoprice.com They should also have inexpensive HDMI switch.

Archived