C4 Forums | Control4

20 amp circuit for dimmers and/or switches

pstuart

Have a simple question for a friend looking at control4. His lighting runs for his house use 20amp breakers and we can't seem to find anywhere if the Control4 dimmers and switches can support this? I see lots of wattage requirements, but nothing about requiring 15amp circuits vs 20 amp circuits.

I'm not an EE, so bare with me on the electrical side of things... This might be a basic answer, but searching yielded practically nothing...

Doesn't matter.

It's not the rating of the circuit breaker, it's the rating of the *load* that matters to a Control4 dimmer.

i.e. if the *load* is too large (too many lights, too high wattage, etc.), the dimmer will overheat and likely fail.

If the *supply* is too large, the dimmer is only going to take what it needs, as long as the voltage is in spec (i.e. it's 120V not 220/240V).

A 20A breaker can support more dimmers/loads than a 15A circuit can support before tripping.

It's also required that a 20A circuit be 12GA wire, and 15A circuit is at least 14GA wire, according to NEC. Typically, lighting circuits are 15A, and outlets are 20A circuits.

RyanE

Archived