C4 Forums | Control4

Need Help Setting Up a Google Chromecast

Aayush Arya

We have a fully configured Control4 setup that integrates with all manner of comfort, entertainment, lighting and security devices. We have AirPlay and Spotify Connect set up properly to allow iOS and Spotify users to broadcast music to any of our three audio zones. 

We also have an Amazon Echo Dot connected to the audio input on our EA-3 (which itself is hooked up to a 4x4 matrix amplifier), which allows us to use any other Alexa in the house to cast music from Amazon Prime Music to our speakers.

To do that though, we have to issue two commands—“Alexa, turn on music source” (which sets the EA-3 as the input source on the receiver) and “Alexa, play soft rock on house speakers” (which starts playing said playlist through the Echo Dot in the rack). Any tips on making this integration smoother still are welcome.

The thing I am not able to figure out is how to integrate a Chromecast such that I am able to cast any audio from any Android phone on the same wireless network to my audio zones.

I have a Chromecast connected to an AmazonBasics HDMI splitter that has an HDMI output on the other end for video + 5.1 audio output and a 3.5mm jack for 2-channel audio output only. I had connected the HDMI output to an input on the receiver and the audio output to my EA-3’s audio input, but this setup is not working. When I cast anything to the Chromecast, it simply starts playing through the receiver, with the album art and controls visible on the TV as well, which essentially means that it is not using the audio output.

What am I doing wrong? 

Edited by Aayush Arya
Punctuation.

OK, I will try this again with a different splitter and see if it works. Thanks for your help.

On an unrelated note, can you assist me with setting up Spotify presets for control through Control4’s interfaces? I was following their PDF guide (screenshot attached) which says I need to start playing a playlist through Spotify Connect and then go to the “Now Playing screen” in Control4 to add the preset, but I cannot find the screen shown in the screenshot anywhere in the Control4 app. Where is this screen?

Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 6.40.00 PM.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.