C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 integration with Escient Fireball

spugh

I am in the process of putting together a Control4 system for my house. I currently have an Escient Fireball DVDM-552 media manager that front ends 5 Sony DVP-CX777ES DVD changers. Just wondering if anyone else on here has done the integration of a C4 controller (HC-500 in my case) with an Escient Fireball (or other media controller). I'm curious as to what the integration looks like.

From the video of Sony's C4 Partner Pavilion booth at CES 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/user/Control4Fans#p/u/23/sxE7lCryMHE), it looks like a direct connection to the new BDP-CX7000ES blu-ray changer will pull metadata from that changer... well, actually not sure if that's how it works or not. Can't tell from the video if the HC pulls metadata directly from the BDP changer's memory and relies on the changer to look up the disc in Gracenote, or if the HC is similar to the Escient Fireball where it sends a command to the changer to scan the disc, then captures the TOC data and does an independent look up of another online database (AMG versus Gracenote). I assume whatever that process is, it is similar to what happens when the HC is connected to a 777ES directly. The question (that neither I nor my dealer know the answer to) is can the HC pull the metadata through the Escient, or will I have to choose the Escient as a source and browse through the standard def DVD collection through the Escient interface.

I'm sure at least a few people will be wondering, why not ditch the Escient Fireball and connect to the 777ES units directly. Well, that would be possible, but the Escient has a built in video switcher and I don't have 5 source feeds to spare on my Sony CAV-CVS12ES and CAV-M1000ES distribution system. Also, before someone recommends a NAS, at one point I filled up the 2000 slots in the 777ESs and bought a Drobo Pro unit with 11TB (9TB usable) of storage that I use for images of TV series (around 1100 discs so far), versus movie DVDs in the Escient stack.

Anyone have any insight as to how the integration between Control4 and Escient looks/functions?

Thanks,

Steve

The Escient driver does not allow C4 to pull Metadata. If you want to use C4 touchpanels or on screen navigators you will have to get a 5X1 component video switch. You can control the escient from a C4 Remote and use their on screen navigatior. But C4 drivers will only pull metadata from the sony changers for the moment. (not including media players)

Brent

I made the switch from Escient to C4. I hated not being able to use the two together. A few years ago Escient (D&M Holdings) and C4 announced a patrnership or something, but that has fizzled out. I did get a could price ebaying my escient stuff, and used the money on a good video switcher. I sure this isnt what you wanted to hear.

yeah teberry, not exactly what I was wanting to hear. I am really curious how escient did their interface. The partnership you are talking about was an agreement where Escient now resells their own re-branded MC series of controller, which are just HC series controllers from Control4 with the Escient logo. http://www.escienteurope.com/products/index.html .

Escient and Control4 are currently working together in Europe. No formal integration that I know of on the old Fireball lineup, but D&M resells Control4 under the Escient brand over there.

Ever wonder why they updated the sr-250 so say "waiting for network" instead of Control4? Escient is one of those reasons.

I sold off my demo Escient gear when starting up with Control4 so I can't comment on how they integrate.

... Ever wonder why they updated the sr-250 so say "waiting for network" instead of Control4? Escient is one of those reasons. ...

That makes a lot of sense. If C4 is going to sell the OS to other vendors and manufactures you would need generic error messages.

It does make sense, but if you look at the link I posted before, Escient removes the "4" at the center of their COP and puts in a "Zone" in it's place. Also, they put an "Escient" logo on their version of the SR-250 remote. If they reprogrammed and rebranded the remote, I don't think it would be a stretch for them to have changed a Control4 Logo on the OLED screen to an Escient one. Not sure that "waiting for network" message really had anything to do with OEMing their products to other manufacturers. Probably just more informative to the user what was going on during a delay than someone staring at a logo and thinking the remote was hung up in some SW glitch. Of course I have been known to be wrong... well, once at least... or I might be mistaken on that number... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed it is... guess I will go to my fall back to use the equipment I already have. I am thinking of disconnecting the RS232 connections between the Fireball and each of the 5 Sony 777ESs, but leave the component+digital audio and composite+stereo cables from each to the Fireballs. Then, I'll connect the RS232 from each of the 777ESs and Fireball to my HC500s. That should allow the HC500 to scan and control the changers for coverart/classification and disc selection. The Fireball would essentially become an expensive 5 X 2 AV matrix.

Archived