C4 Forums | Control4

*WTB or WTT* 6-3/8" - 6-5/8" Hole Saw

spugh

I'm looking for a large hole saw to cut holes for in-ceiling speakers. I thought someone on here may have bought one for a similar project, no longer needs the hole saw and might be willing to make me a deal.

The size hole I need is 6 1/2", so I'd prefer that size or 6 5/8". Using my Dremel and circular hole cutter kit is an option, but it kicks up a ton of dust. With a traditional hole saw, I can use a catch tray to capture most of the dust. There are carbide tipped adjustable cutters that I would be interested in as well. I tried one of the cheaper adjustable setups before that claimed it could be used on drywall or fiberglass drop ceiling panels. It was useless on drywall though.

Thanks,

Steve

That's exactly what I was talking about. Didn't see pricing on that page, but it looks almost identical to the "Hole Pro" which was on HGTV's Cool Tools TV show. Was hoping not to pay $110+ for a tool I will only use to cut speaker holes once. I'm planning to check tool rental places locally, but not holding my breath that they will have one of those for rent.

I did use my Dremel for the speakers in my master bedroom, but it was a 2 person operation for sure. One for the Dremel, one for the vacuum. Even then it was really messy.

Steve

I have cut a zillion speaker holes by hand using a drywall saw in one hand and holding a cardboard box in the other hand. If you are only cutting a few holes why not just get it done and do it by hand. The amount of time you might spend looking for tools for a one time job might be better spent cutting the holes and getting it done.

A google search found this 6 5/8 hole saw for $70.00

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=6+5/8+hole+saw&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11629020014519621414&ei=1fJfTJDqD4O78gbI46y1DQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAA#

and one for $48.00

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-56-0310-Hole-Saw-8-Inch/dp/B000CSWEXQ

I'm sure Home Depot has one you can rent.

I also second the suggestion of a rotozip with vacuum attachment. Every electrician in the world that does residential work has one of these if you know any electricians.

I'm sure Home Depot has one you can rent.

I also second the suggestion of a rotozip with vacuum attachment. Every electrician in the world that does residential work has one of these if you know any electricians.

Guys. You are killing me...

I just bought a tool from Home Depot. Cost me 6$... it's got a radius cutter that you do - by hand... it scores the radius of the hole in the first three passes, then finish off with a hand-drywall saw...

<mumbling to myself> ... build a better mouse trap.... <mumble mumble>

(all meant in good humour!)

Archived