C4 Forums | Control4

Seeking IR emmitter information

Background:

I recently completed our home theater system consisting of a JVC projector, Pioneer SC-79 AV Amp, and assorted other components. Since I am not done making changes, but done enough for now to start using everything, I am postponing the dreaded integrator session until swap in the final pieces.

The setup:

Since the Pioneer remote does a pretty good job at emulating the other remotes, I bought a Microsmith Hot Link Pro XL to repeat the IR signals to my around-the-corner equipment rack. This equipment consists of a sensitve IR "collector" which sends the signal over Cat-5 to an emmitter distributer in my equipment closet. From the distributer, individual emmitters run to each piece of my AV equipment, all, it seems, emmitting the same signal. Each piece of kit recognizes and reacts to its own signal.

The questions:

1. Does Control4 send unique signals down to the IR emmitters? (I have these on our family room AV stuff, and they look identical to the Microsmith emmitters). Or does the same signal get sent down to all emmitters, similar to my repeater?

2. In other words, when I go to hook up my theater system to Control4, would it be possible to drive my nifty Microsmith IR repeater with a single C4 emmitter? (assuming an emmitter has enough output to drive the collector unit -- I think it will). Or, if I still want to use my IR repeater (C4 drivers don't always send *all* possible signals, so it is nice to be able to still use the original remotes sometimes), do I have to plan an arraying all the C4 emmitters so that they push their signals to my Microsmith collector?

Thanks!

Having each device on its own emitter is the best practice. C4 could certainly send everything through one but this can delay macros and cause limited control. Most C4 drivers have nearly all commands for each device, now if you have access to those controls or they are programmed is a whole another topic. Now it is certainly possible to have two ir emitter on each device one from the repeater and one from c4. personally have never seen the need. To top it off Ip control is available on numerous devices so c4 may not even need an ir emitter.

Having each device on its own emitter is the best practice. C4 could certainly send everything through one but this can delay macros and cause limited control. Most C4 drivers have nearly all commands for each device, now if you have access to those controls or they are programmed is a whole another topic. Now it is certainly possible to have two ir emitter on each device one from the repeater and one from c4. personally have never seen the need. To top it off Ip control is available on numerous devices so c4 may not even need an ir emitter.

Thank you for that information.  Yes, my AV unit and projector are both on the LAN, so that will make those easy.  I use my iPhone to control both now, however, accessing advanced set up screens still requires the use of the remote on the AV unit. Since I've done, and will continue to do, all my own wiring, I have a lot of flexibility when it comes time to get the entire theater system on our C4 project. When I shared this with my wife she suggested that before we make that move, we should consider swapping out our older non-LAN equipment for some new pieces. Gee, I love that woman!!!

Archived