C4 Forums | Control4

Help: Proxies and Connections

emaxedon

I'm writing a driver that polls data using C4:urlGet, and depending on the resulting data an Event is fired.

Is it possible to create a driver without using any device proxies or connections?

I tried keeping proxies and connections empty:

<proxies />
<connections />

But, Composer doesn't even find the driver when trying to add it. So I'm assuming it's not possible to keep proxies/connections empty.

Any ideas on what type of proxy/connection XML configuration I should be using? And where specifically to look in the right direction for documentation? DriverWorks SDK 2.9.0 API Reference Guide doesn't document XML configurations very well at all...

If you don't include a proxy you need to define the driver as a 'combo' driver meaning that the driver is its own proxy.

You can do this by including the 'combo' element and setting it to true, this element should be a child of the devicedata element.

<combo>true</combo>

You'll still need to include an empty proxy that is the driver itself in the proxies list. I generally leave it as 'other'.

<proxies qty="1">
        <proxy name="Driver Name">other</proxy>
    </proxies>  

If you don't include the 'combo' element than you would have the proxy point to the driver.

<proxies qty="1">
    <proxy name="Driver Name">driver_filename</proxy>
</proxies>  

You can leave the connections empty.

Archived