C4 Forums | Control4

AVM-16A2-B Amp Module Fans...

mhavoc

It's that time.. 6 years later and my fans are getting noisy. The power modules seem to be D2Audio but I can't find the model number without voiding my C4 warranty. The fans are unfortunately...

1. Wired from within the module

2. Melt-Glued into the top plastic cover

Im certainly comfortable retrofitting new fans in there by removing the module and retrofitting a better fan attachment to the plastic covers but before I start diving in deep, I had a couple of questions for all you fine folks..

1. Anyone else done this already?

2. Does anyone know what the D2Audio model number for these power amp modules are so I can investigate buying the whole fan assembly from them directly?

thank you!!! Rock on.

jess

It's that time.. 6 years later and my fans are getting noisy. The power modules seem to be D2Audio but I can't find the model number without voiding my C4 warranty. The fans are unfortunately...

1. Wired from within the module

2. Melt-Glued into the top plastic cover

Im certainly comfortable retrofitting new fans in there by removing the module and retrofitting a better fan attachment to the plastic covers but before I start diving in deep, I had a couple of questions for all you fine folks..

1. Anyone else done this already?

2. Does anyone know what the D2Audio model number for these power amp modules are so I can investigate buying the whole fan assembly from them directly?

thank you!!! Rock on.

jess

You will have to confirm details with your dealer, but I'm pretty sure that Control4 will repair them for you, and totally upgrade all the internals to make them that of the V3 (a much better amplifier). I can't be sure on the cost, but I think it's about $300.

I'd go that route personally.

Just a little followup on this for everyone else's reference.

My local dealer said that he didn't think that it was possible to take a V2 amp up to a V3 amp because the hardware was quite a bit different. He did quite nicely offer to give me some spare fan units off a parts amp he had on his bench, however, being that those are also 6 years old at this point, I opted to retrofit an *improved* cooling system that should last about 8-10 more years and actually be quieter and have better cooling effectiveness.

Check out the attached image for a picture of the stock (smaller, higher RPM fan) vs my modified fan. I plan on doing this to the other amplifier module tomorrow but I wanted to take this picture first and test it out.

The fan I used is a low noise, double ball bearing fan..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999603

Im not sure how long that link will be valid so here is the fan specifics...

Vantec Stealth 92 mm Double Ball Bearing Silent Case Fan - Model SF9225L

It wasn't too hard to mount this onto the existing D2Audio fan shrouds. HINT: To get the fan shrouds off, they are held on by plastic about 1 each from each corner, pry out gently and you can get them off without damaging them or the heatsink.

Unfortunately, the two 12V leads into the amplifer module go into the module directly and the only way to get in there is to unsolder the module from the bottom (about 120 de-solder points), so you just have to clip the wire right up against the old fan so you have as much wire as possible to splice to your new fan leads.

I used a dremel to cut a square into the shroud and then used self tapping screws to mount the fan evenly onto the shroud over the newly formed opening. It sits nice a flat and is just about airtight too, very nice.

Once the shroud was all ready, I simply soldered my fan wires onto the existing old fan wires going into the module, heat shrinked them up and snapped the new shroud back onto the amplifier module.

Total Cost: $23.54

Hope that helps you DIY'ers! :-)

Thanks for the help!!!

jess

Archived