C4 Forums | Control4

How does C4 control digital music

Hi All

Currently my setup is apple tv 1 that is in sync with itunes and this works well for me.

when i move to c4 i see that some controllers have on board storage and others have usb for storage.

now all of my music is organised nicely by itunes and when i purchase music from lets say amazon it puts it into itunes.

so how will c4 access my music?

do i have to leave the computer on all the time?

how does this bit work i have been recommended the new HC-800 which does not have storage built in so what are my options

thanks all.

Best solution is place your music on a NAS - then all target players (itunes, C4 etc) can use the one single source of media files.

If you want a less expensive option place your music for C4 on a usb drive connected to the HC-800.

If your music is currently on your PC - control4 can access this also via a share, but as you point out already you need to turn your PC on everytime you want to place music.

The HC-800 has a media player on board and can play out either a HDMI, digital or 2 analogue stereo interfaces.

Hi there

thanks for your reply.

i think i will get a NAS and just copy my itunes folders to the NAS every now and then.

this will also act as a backup of my computer.

so from what i understand it can play onto the tv via HDMI and dist to other rooms via the digital or analogue interface.

Yes - what I do and if you want to spend more money ( I recommend it) is have the controller multiple audio outputs go to a matrix amp. This then allows multiple different music options to be played from either internet radio or digital media collection to any room.

There is a itunes driver from EV also. Im no expert on it, but you might want to investigate

Archived