C4 Forums | Control4

Sony CDPCX355

Paul_Quadriom

I am a few weeks away from getting my system and was wondering if I will be able to use my Sony CDPCX355 CD changer like I would with a Sony 777 with my MC? If no, why? and if yes, to what extent?

I know I can store all my CDs on the MC but I will probably lose a bit of sound quality because of the audio playbak formats on the MC (off the hard drive) vs the CX355, am I mistaken?

I did a quick search or the manual of this model. It does not appear that it has a serial port like the Sony 777 does. You will not be able to control this unit like the Sony 777, but you should be able to control it with the MC via IR.

The reason the Sony 777 is easy to control with the MC is the the 777 has a bi-directional serial port. The bi-directional serial port allows the 777 to talk to the MC and the MC to talk back the the 777.

The CDPCX35 seems to have a proprietary control port so it is probably not compatible with the MC.

You will be able to control the CDPCX35 via IR. You can stick an IR emitter to the CDPCX35 and plug the emitter into the MC. The MC will then be able to send IR commands to the CDPCX35. This will only be one way communication, the MC will be able to send commands to the CDPCX35, but the CDPCX35 will not be able to send command verifications back to the MC.

Alan

Paul,

Also, you need the model to have 'direct disc select' for Control4 to be able to properly work with it. If it doesn't, there's no good way for Control4 to start the selected disc playing.

If it does, you can write an IR driver for it if one doesn't exist, and the only thing you're missing is the ability to have the Control4 system automatically scan the changer for media. You'll have to manually add all media information about each disc. This isn't too hard, as you can do a lookup on each name, and still don't have to enter info manually for most discs, but it's more painful for you than an automatic scan.

RyanE

• 8 months later...

Why do you say that the Sony 335 doesn't have serial connection? I have had mine on the escient system and it uses a mini plug to serial plug converter like the ones you can purchase from smarthomes. Isn't it just a matter of adapting the 777 codes to work with the CD carousel?

I don't think it will work, it's a 1 way port even if you have a converter, since the jack on the back is for IR, not serial.

I dont know... Maybe Ryan can comment on this better then me. I'd be happy if it worked with a an adaptor cos right now, even with all my music library entered manually (all 280 Cds) 3 times out of 4, with IR, if I select a specific CD, it goes to the wrong one so I rarely use it other then when I'm in front of it.

Archived