C4 Forums | Control4

Migrating music from computer to NAS - would this hose media database?

Greetings. I currently have all my music on my computer, and C4 accesses it over the network. Works well, but for various reasons I'm considering migrating all the music to a NAS.

If I do this, is the current media database on C4 going to be permanently hosed? I can preserve the exact same file structure on the NAS, the only thing that would be changing as far a C4 is concerned is the machine name.

I.E, the current Location is '\\bmf\Music\mp3-abr256', and would endup being something like '\\NAS\Music\mp3-abr256'. All the files on the NAS would have exactly the same relative path as they did on the computer.

I don't want to 'just try it' because we have a lot of music and playlists, and I definitely don't want to have to re-create everything - approx 13,000 tracks and dozens of playlists.

System is running 1.7.4.

I have never tried this, but I think it would hose-up the Music Database.

One thing you can try is export the media list. Add a new NAS driver and location. Import the Media List to the new NAS Driver with configuring a NAS Location. See if the video and cover art correctly display in Navigator.

Concern would be the image and cover art locations may confuse the Director. Also, this will affect your playlist.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best case is copy all the directories as-is to the new NAS and name the new NAS with the same name. Just change IP. Just my opinion

You are most likely S.O.L.

I've had to rebuild everything from scratch several times so far for various reasons. Many people are still in denial but C4 has "3rd world" level media management capabilities that are really showing their age. That's why so many people want Dune, Popcorn hour, Plex or XBMC as their interface. I wish they would work with MyMovies, etc. to allow metadata imports if they aren't going to take media management seriously.

Archived