C4 Forums | Control4

Losing Connection

Started to experience something strange yesterday. After over a year of rock solid functionality and zero downtime I've now started to experience some strange connection issues. My director loses connection with both ComposerHE and my Controllers. I can still see my HC-300 and HC-500 on the network and both are accessible via their IP address. Several minutes later it re-appears and everything goes back to normal.

Haven't made any adjustments, added anything, etc. My network is solid and no issues with other components on the network are being observed.

Thoughts?

HC-300 is acting as Director, running 2.2.1.171726.

I originally noticed the issue because my Navigator's weren't showing any of my Sonos streaming services like Rdio or Pandora. When I check the driver I noticed the following:

Activation Status: 09/02/12 12:59: ACTIVATED - Could not connect to activation server

Driver Information: Not connected to internet, music services offline.

My internet is up and running, I can control the sonos when I play music off my NAS. I can also control all my lights, etc.

The original problem as described above still is also going on.

The one and only time I experienced this was early-on and it was due to a bit of looping on the main switch. It basically crippled the switch but it did appear as on again/off again. If you are "mulitcasting" on every port this will be quite obvious on the Netgear.

I'm just going after what typically has been problem areas in general. Something that appears suddenly is generally thought of as an electrical failure of some sort. But, not always is the case. Anything that has been added to network recently? Anything other than C4 gear on the network that could be malfunctioning??

It wouldn't hurt to disconnect everything other than C4 stuff and evaluate.

Turned off everything, sequenced it back on with the HC-300 now directly on the router with a new cable. It still is not seeing the Internet, even directly on the router.

I've confirmed it's offline by trying to login from MyControl4.

So strange

You probably don't have CPro so go into SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS>CONTROLLER NETWORKING>TEST INTERNET CONNECTION. Note the IP of the controller and try to ping it. Go into your router and make sure nothing is stomping on that IP or run Angry IP Scanner and check that the controller's mac is showing at that IP. Just try to eliminate as much "network" possibilities first.

You say the controller isn't seeing the internet so double check you are using optimized DNS(s) at the controller or at least pointing to your gateway.

Very strange indeed, figured out the issue though.

I think I had a network intrusion, digging in the logs now, had a bunch if rouge entries in the Mac-ip bindings really screwing things up as well as some other strange static routes added. I hadn't previosly checked there because I had not imagined I'd find anything there.

Time to change passwords and add some additional security.

Thanks!

Archived