C4 Forums | Control4

2 controllers small project please advise

2 HC300 controllers. Simple A/V with just remotes for Zigbee Pro devices for now.

2 Rooms Total. Living Room, Bedroom just a A/V receiver, TVs, STBs, really nothing special no dimmers no switches.

I've done a lot of reading on setting up the "Master/Slave" on the 2 controllers, but couldn't find my answer. I don't do all this media streaming etc. I do want the ability to use onscreen navigator for wife in case she presses button by mistake or guest comes over.

My goal is to optimize the use of the HC300 controllers, currently setup with primary controller running Zserver, Director, ZAP Coordinator. Both controllers seem to have navigator disabled I assume by default for now.

Should I just move zserver to the second HC300 "slave" controller? I believe coordinator and director have to be on the same controller? Will this improve anything or should I just leave everything on the one controller while the second HC300 sits idle 99% of the time?

Is there any way to better optimize my use of the 2 x HC300 controllers?

Thanks

2 HC300 controllers. Simple A/V with just remotes for Zigbee Pro devices for now.

2 Rooms Total. Living Room, Bedroom just a A/V receiver, TVs, STBs, really nothing special no dimmers no switches.

I've done a lot of reading on setting up the "Master/Slave" on the 2 controllers, but couldn't find my answer. I don't do all this media streaming etc. I do want the ability to use onscreen navigator for wife in case she presses button by mistake or guest comes over.

My goal is to optimize the use of the HC300 controllers, currently setup with primary controller running Zserver, Director, ZAP Coordinator. Both controllers seem to have navigator disabled I assume by default for now.

Should I just move zserver to the second HC300 "slave" controller? I believe coordinator and director have to be on the same controller? Will this improve anything or should I just leave everything on the one controller while the second HC300 sits idle 99% of the time?

Is there any way to better optimize my use of the 2 x HC300 controllers?

Thanks

From my understanding ideally you want your Zserver and Director on one controller

Zap coordinator to be in a more centralized location in relation to your zigbee nodes

To optimize turn off as many services that is not used specially the navigator, openvpn, rhap etc

Though from the size of your project 2 hc300 is way plenty. If you are experiencing lag or slowness it will be more from the lack of active nodes rather than controller power. Adding an outlet or so might help that.

In regards to utilization I would suggest

Zserver and Director on one controller

Navigator and Zap coordinator on the other

Just my 2 cents

In that case since I have zserver, director, coordinator will it matter if I move the zserver and director to the secondary controller and just leave the primary with zap coordinator?

I thought I would just move the zserver but if it is recommended to have zserver and director on the same then I can't really balance them out. Just seems strange the secondary controller "slave" is not really running anything. Well it will be the bedroom so it will run navigator I suppose but rarely used unless C4 button is pressed to select a device DVR or Bluray etc.

Another thought since I can run the Denon receivers by IP instead of serial should I just go with one controller now? I had originally thought I needed to keep two to balance services and for the extra serial port (needed 3) with AV receivers on IP only need 1 serial port. I could do without onscreen navigation in the living room and just put the onscreen nav for the bedroom for the rare occasion it might be used. Does having navigation enabled without using it take resources and slow a controller down?

Keep in mind this is just for home audio devices, no zigbee wireless controls except remotes, 99.9% of the time only 1 room is used at one time and only 1 device activated at a time almost all of this is just to watch TV/movies/listen to hd radio. Can't I get away (for now) with just using a single HC300 and upgrade to an additional HC250 or HC800 later on?

I would not shut off OpenVPN as this is needed for remote access and support. On 1.3-1.8x systems I would not turn services off, not recommended by TS. On 2.0 systems the system auto shuts off services not in use.

1.3-1.8x systems - The HC-300 and HC-200 controllers Navigator is the biggest hog on resources in pre-2.0 OS consuming 70-75% of the processor. It is very intensive. Turning off navigator is all you need to do. Leave all the other services on one controller. Internal communications is faster than TCP/IP. If you dont use navigator on either TV, you really only need one Controller unless you need the I/O as in 3 RS-232's. If you only need one OS navigator. Weather you use RS-232 or IP for control really doesn't matter much to the processor. You can look at system diagnostics to see memory usage and processor load and see what is consuming the processor. Refresh navigators and you will see the cpu maxed out with Navigator in 70-90% usage.

Navigator active but not being used will still consume resources. Most system I have installed my users never use the on-screen. I havent in years. Especially with the SR-250 remotes.

On 2.x Systems, the OS will work OK on a HC-300C in small projects but it runs best on the HC-250 or HC-800. If you have an HC-300 even the C model I have seen problems when introducing bigger ip drivers like sonos or AppleTV. These driver need the power of the HC-250 or 800. Definitely disable navigator (done so by removing video bindings not system manager) as the older controllers will work faster.

Archived