C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat control

alano

I'm having trouble controlling my thermostat. I can control the temperature as well as the any settings. I can't however change the fan from auto to on, and I can't change mode from cool to heat to auto etc.

I am 'power stealing' but I don't believe that's issue as the thermostat works perfectly. I can control everything just fine from the thermostat itself, just not from a navigator screen or from composer.

Any ideas?

I've tried that.....nothing. It just doesn't make sense...when I adjust the temp from composer or any navigator interface....it changes immediatly...change the fan, mode, and hold settings and there is no effect on the thermostat.

I've tried everything......when I try to change the mode or fan settings from the web navigator it blinks slowly for a few seconds, then returns to its original setting. This would imply that it's not receiving a confirmation from the thermostat that change has happened. You would think this is an HVAC wiring issue but if I change those settings from the thermostat...everything works fine.

Should I order a new thermostat?

It is possible that the power stealing is causing the problem. Try this. Pull the T-stat of the mount. Pull out the battery for 30 seconds and replace the battery to reboot the T-stat. Try to control it from your system running just on the battery. I would recommend placing the T-stat close to your controller as the ZigBee transmitter will not have as much power to transmit when it has no power from power stealing. If this works then the problem is the power stealing. It is always best (and C4 recommends this) to use a common wire when possible and disable power stealing.

Some people run the T-sat of a 24 volt transformer and use the T-stat just to sense temperature and never control HVAC. So it is possible to run the T-stat off 24 volt for testing.

Archived