C4 Forums | Control4

VPN IOS 6.1 breaks Connection to router

Chrch01

What type of VPN? I use IPsec and OpenVPN on iOS 6.1 with no issues.

Also, which iPad?

6.1.1 is being rushed into release to fix a few 3g issues, but if its the LTE version, then it isn't effected (unless you are on a 3g connection, not LTE)

What router / firewall are you using on the endpoint? Maybe your IP address changed? There is nothing in 6.1 that would have changed that would effect VPN connections. Maybe the upgrade was bad?

Can you connect using other devices? Can you connect over wifi but not 3g? or vice versa?

Openvpn doesn't work with ipsec, its a separate technology. At this point, I think you are well beyond the support I can provide without knowing the answers to the questions I have already asked.

Who ever set up your vpn should be your first turn to. There are plenty of diagnostics that can be looked at to determine why its failing. Heck your isp might even be blocking ipsec traffic.

1) On your network, open a browser to http://whatismyip.org

2) Open up the VPN configuration on the device

3) Check hostname/ip address

4) If IP Address (numbers) Do the numbers match?

If Hostname (characters)

4.1) Start -> Run -> cmd

4.2) In command prompt -> ping <hostname>

4.3) The numbers that come up, do those match?

Sounds like it could just be IP address, but that's the first step.

Thanks for the input.. IP address did not change but I wish it had. The Netgear support has been great so I might do a session with them but nothing has changed on the router. Brighouse is my ISP and I will check with them.

Thanks

Update: I fixed this with major changes to my VPN config. Totally different than what Netgear help set up. IOS 6.1 changed something that prevented my original config to continue to work.

The concern I have is Apple, Netgear and especially AT&T gave no support to resolve my issue. Hopefully I am good to go for future releases of IOS.

There is a document out there that shows the correct config called Using Control4 Remotely... This document is not perfect but will get you there.

http://www.control4.com/files/dealers/documentation/DOC-00036_RevA_MyHome-Remote-Access-Configuration.pdf

1. Make sure you add an ipsec vpn user to the router.

2. On the client side make sure you use the domain field.

Archived