C4 Forums | Control4

(resolved) control4 8-zone amp v1

malelan

having some issues with an older 8-zone (v1) on boot up it says "updater -> waiting for dhcp -> reflashing -> no image -> reflash timeout" then just sits this way.

i can actually id it, and use it and it works perfectly fine, is this looking for a firmware image that i dont have? my project is currently running 2.2.4

ok, did some more tinkering and found some more info, i'm not sure which info is relevant so i'm just going to include everything here. looks like this amp is no longer working, it was working, now its not, and all i get on boot up is the error above. if i hit the reset button in the hidden panel on the left, it tries to flash again as well.

i figured i'd check the logs on my dhcp server to make sure it was actually dhcping correctly. in the logs i noticed that it was looking for a firmware file via tftp. i saw this line.

dnsmasq-tftp[2424]: file /srv/tftp/90-0006_AT128_Ethernet_16ChannelAmp_03.03.70_232.bin not found

so bingo, that must be the file i need, and the amp must be looking to upgrade via tftp. so i ssh into one of my controllers and that file is just sitting in /firmware , sweet this is too easy, i copy the file to my dhcp server which is already setup for tftp.

for some reason though when i reboot, i'm unable to transfer this file to my amp via tftp, i actually get a weird line that looks like this (did it 3 times)

failed sending /srv/tftp/90-0006_AT128_Ethernet_16ChannelAmp_03.03.70_232.bin to \P#177ÿ#177

failed sending /srv/tftp/90-0006_AT128_Ethernet_16ChannelAmp_03.03.70_232.bin to #034É~Wÿ#177

not sure what the gibberish is on the end there, as i've only ever seen it reference the location by ip or interface.

my guess is that i'm missing some type of mtu/blocksize issue here that is required to transfer to the firmware via tftp.

so i feel like i'm a little further but not sure what to do at this point, does control4 use tftp on boot to update firmware for these older devices? is there a way to get this to automatically work from my controller? (a few hc300's) do i need to do something else?

additionally i've been seeing this odd dhcp request since i plugged the amp into my network.

no address range available for DHCP request via 95.49.54.67

this is not an ip on my network , not sure why its requesting an address via this route, as this doesnt exist in my routing table. i have not seen this before. the amp however does request alocal ip and acknowledges my local ip. so something works ok, but then it keeps spamming this in my log pretty much forever.

actually solved this, i "highly" doubt anyone will ever run into this again, but i'm going to post my solution to hope it benefits someone someday. i'm not even entirely sure if the newer amps operate this way, this may only be in the older technology.

in the extremely rare case that you are booting an older amp into a network that has dhcp/tftp boot or pxe enabled, and your dhcp server is configured to direct all tftpd requests to a specific box (that is not control4) you will get the issue i have above.

apparently the control4 boxes send up firmware updates to these older devices (and maybe some newer ones) via tftp, and kinda rely on you having no configuration on your network for such services.

i took a spare controller, and setup a spare private network (as the one in my house relies on the tftp servers above) and setup a brand new project, setup the amp, plugged it in and it took the update right off my hc300 with no problems, we're back up and running and everyone is happy.

the chances of this happening to people is EXTREMELY slim, but if someone is ever googling it, hopefully they will find this post (as i could not find any information specific about this)

also please note that i did try the appropriate channels of going through my dealer, unfortunately this was way over his head. he did offer to send this back to control but seemed more interested/concerned in getting me to buy a new amp, which i wasn't really interested in. that being said, no love lost, i wouldnt expect him to understand the ridiculous network setup i have here.

Archived