C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Problems

Hey all! I just got my Control4 system installed today, and it appears that I have an issue. My installer installed the Control4 thermostat and programmed it, however it appears that my compressor fan runs when I'm not on a heating cycle, then shuts off prior to the heating cycle starting. I have an air-source heat pump installed in my home, and the fan is pretty annoying. With my old thermostat, the fan never kicked on unless the thermostat was set to the cooling cycle, and I'm not sure if it needs to be on in the winter. All it is doing is moving cold air around the condenser coil at the moment. Any suggestions?

Yeah, suggestion #1, have your installer make sure the T-Stat is wired correctly. If it's wired correctly and still acts up, return it and have your old T-Stat reinstalled. I had two C4 T-Stats and they never worked right from day one... even after they were replaced a couple times, two C4 installers and an HVAC company troubleshooting the issues. HVAC company went ahead and reinstalled my Honeywell VisionPRO 8000 series T-Stats and everything worked fine.

First mistake is letting your c4 guy install tstats on his own without hvac help. Don't give up on the c4 stats though.

There is also a ton of settings in composer to tweak.

Of course I've got geo and 6 zones so its pretty important here.

Damn. I guess I'm calling them back out here today. I'm going to read through my furnace and condenser literature again and the old thermostat manual and see if it's just a setting or if it's miswired. Thanks for the advice!

Yep, call them back and see if they work with an HVAC company because not all HVAC manufactures are wired the same. We had so many problems with the C4 T-Stat that we finally gave up with them. We even had the C4 techs on the phone with our integrator and HVAC company onsite and still couldn't get them to work right. It was probably something in the programming that was causing the issue, but I got tired of all the guess work and just had the HVAC company reinstall all my original T-Stats.

Good luck!

Archived