C4 Forums | Control4

Single Zone Multi-Channel Amplifiers

Well ladies and gentlemen, my wife and I finally purchased our home and we have started the Control4 integration process. We currently have an HC800 set up in our living room running the thermostat, alarm panel, and our AV system. I've decided that it's time to start getting some of the stuff we wanted installed, and I figured that the home audio system would be a good place to start. We are looking to install in-ceiling speakers in our kitchen/breakfast nook and my wife's office, as well as some outdoor speakers on our two porches. I figure that will be eight speakers total, and we want them all on the same zone. Does anyone have any suggestions on what hardware will work for us? I'd prefer to not buy four separate amps for each set of channels.

Could do one of the amps from Episode (Snap AV) as well as similar ones from other companies. These have global inputs which is what you want. Later if you want them on separate zones you can do this also. This is the cheap option...

The other is to go with the C4 amp and do what you want with programming, but this is more expensive.

I would suggest getting the Control4 4 zone amp. By the time you get the right amp that can handle the 4 pairs of speakers you might as well get a C4 amp and get the power savings and the control of each zone. The C4 amp can handle two pairs per zone so you could tie them into 2 zones and have spare zones for future.

I did a project where we used the Control4 matrix switch because the client had a bunch of Snap AV amps and it performed poorly. The amps had to be left on all the time (waste of power and money) because the auto on would click all the speakers.

^Agreed. I assisted a projected that used Speakercraft amps. Pain, pain, pain and the amp gave-out after awhile. Control4 amp is one hell of nice piece if you cool it. Do yourself a favor and break-up those areas into discrete zones. OP, you are installing Control4, no? Use their equipment.

The Control4 amps are some of the worst sounding pieces of equipment I've heard. Not that the Episode/Snap stuff sounds better but it's priced better.

There are better options if price is an issue or if sound quality is an issue.

Most people use the C4 amp for in ceiling or in wall speakers, do they not?

If your saying your in ceiling speakers are suffering from the C4 amp, I call BS

NO MATTER WHICH BRAND YOU SAY YOU HAVE.

They are still in ceiling speakers.

You may be an audiophile but please don't tell me that you have audiophile in ceiling speakers.

If you hate C4 amps fine, just state that, do not claim that they ruin your in ceiling speakers sound.

Brent

Most people use the C4 amp for in ceiling or in wall speakers, do they not?

If your saying your in ceiling speakers are suffering from the C4 amp, I call BS

NO MATTER WHICH BRAND YOU SAY YOU HAVE.

They are still in ceiling speakers.

You may be an audiophile but please don't tell me that you have audiophile in ceiling speakers.

If you hate C4 amps fine, just state that, do not claim that they ruin your in ceiling speakers sound.

Brent

I would without a doubt call my triad Gold Mini Monitors and Silver Monitors audiophile... They aren't in every room but are in the Bar, Kitchen, Dining Room, and Bedroom. Also when I ran a C4 amp compared to a Lexicon DD8 I though the Lexicon sounded better. Audio is very personal, right or not, and what you like may not be what others like.

We use speaker points with no issues... (7 total)

Are you running the C4 Speaker Points? I've been looking at the Sonos Connect Amps' date=' but I'm not sold on them yet...[/quote']

Sonos vs a Speaker Point?

What about the Sonos Connect are you not sure about?

I am worried that for what I want to accomplish, the Sonos Connect Amps will have too many features and be overly complicated, which will just drive up the cost. We aren't trying to turn each area into its own individual zone, we want the same music playing in each room at the same time. Additionally, we don't particularly need the internet streaming capabilities; if we hear a song that we like on the radio, typically we just download it and then copy it into our library. Finally, major issue my installer brought up was volume control in each area. If each room has its own receiver/amp, how do we control the volume simultaneously across the house?

Archived