C4 Forums | Control4

MP3 Embedded Album Art not displaying on some albums

I'm a brand new Control4 owner and I have one issue that I cannot seem to resolve myself. I have a NAS server with all our MP3/M4A unprotected digital audio music, and I have spent a LONG time getting the ID3 tags and embedded album art correct on all these (for example I can play these on other digital audio players (such as the audio player app from my NAS box) and ALL the embedded album art shows correctly.

However, when scanning this library of audio media into the control4 (HC-800) it show album art on SOME of the albums but not others. There is no consistency, its does not matter if the album is MP3 or M4A (MP4) format or what the size of the album art picture is. I tried clearing the media list and then unchecking the "Use Online Media...." option before scanning again and it made no difference. I even tried viewing the MP3 files with ID3-TagIT to check the tags and the embedded artwork and it all looks good on the albums that don't show artwork in Control4.

Any advice???

I have the same problem and it seems random the files that do it.  I thought it has something to do with the ID3 tag verson and I forced all my tags to be re-written in a newer version but that didn't seem to help

• 2 weeks later...

Solved it! The control4 seems to be sensitive to the FORMAT of the embedded album art, it works with JPG format but fails with PNG format pictures. So I have been going through all my music and extracting all the PNG album art, converting it to JPG (using Windows Paint for example) and the replacing the old album art with the new JPG version. Tedious but it seems to be working so far, when I rescan the music from Control4 my artwork shows up.....

Solved it! The control4 seems to be sensitive to the FORMAT of the embedded album art, it works with JPG format but fails with PNG format pictures. So I have been going through all my music and extracting all the PNG album art, converting it to JPG (using Windows Paint for example) and the replacing the old album art with the new JPG version. Tedious but it seems to be working so far, when I rescan the music from Control4 my artwork shows up.....

Do you have some instructions on how you found and did this?  I use iTunes to manage all my media

I used when windows software called mp3tag to examine the embedded data in the mp3 files. It shows you the type of image file used for the album art and allows you to extract that image (which you can then convert to jpg yourself) and you can delete the old art and add back in the new version.

Note if you have mp4 (aac) music files from itunes then mp3tag will still allow export of the images but NOT allow delete or add. I used another software called mediamonkey to delete/add album art to mp4 files.

But I suppose after using mp3tag to see which images are not jpg format then another method would be to use itunes itself to copy the old images then convert them to jpg with Paint and then use itunes to delete the old image and add back the new one (note you need to select get info on the TRACKS in itunes to save album art into the files, if you select the album then it does not touch the files at all)

Archived