C4 Forums | Control4

Last generation dimmer blowing fuse at panel

In my son's room I had a C4 dimmer switch (last gen, not newest model) that was used to dim the ceiling fixture. I had been using two Philips LED bulbs in it for the past year or so with no issue. A week or so ago I swapped out there light fixture for a fan with light kit. Installed a non-c4 switch to manage the fan and ran new 4 wire cable to the fan. Wired up the fan and light to the C4 dimmer and basic paddle switch. Then replaced the halogen bulbs that were in the fan with some LED bulbs.

Now here is my issue, the fuse at the service panel will pop every other day or so or multiple times a day now. I have been so busy with work the last week I haven't had a chance to fix it, but today I pulled out the fan and the wall switches so I could check the wiring and I needed to install a reinforced fan bracket in the ceiling anyways. I went back through and checked the cable and everything looked fine. Rewired everything up and hung the fan. Turned it on and off a few times, no issues. Went and took a bath and afterwards came back and turned their light on...fuse pops.

So I am tossing this out there, to see if anyone else has had issues with a non ELV dimmer and LEDs causing the fuse to blow. I had planned to swap their switch soon to an adaptive phase dimmer anyways, but would like to narrow down the current issue first. I don't recall reading that LED's and standard dimmers causing fuses to blow, just having issues with the lower voltage and causing the LED's to blink or not turn all the way off.

Looks to have been the LEDs. I've already rechecked the wiring already as stated above. I found the original bulbs and put the halogens back on. Since my original post I've probably switched the load 30+ times now with several fades and ramps. No issues now.

Archived