C4 Forums | Control4

Can't see Control4 Controllers and other C4 Equipment in Project

My dealer is having issues with seeing my new Control4 hardware that's hooked up to my one Cisco/Linksys router.  At the begining I had only one router in my rack that handled both Internet and the Control4 project, however, the system always crashed.  I changed my dealer and he came in and said to have the Verizon FiOS router handle the Internet and everyday usage and bridge it with a secondary router for all the Control4 stuff along with a Netgear 8 port switch.  I had that set up for years and it worked well.  Recently, I had to change my dealer as the other one went out of business and I upgraded everything (new HC800, HC250, WMB, SR250 remotes w/charging station, new 8 Zone Amp/Matrix Switch, etc.  However, the dealer (who's remote programming) can't see the Control4 equipment on the Cisco/Linksys router.  I went ahead and plugged the main controller, the HC800 into my Verizon FiOS router and the dealer sees it fine to get things started and get the HC800 registered.  Funny thing is, the dealer can see the Control4 8 Zone amp/matrix switch, which is plugged into the Cisco/Linksys router.

Any thoughs on what's going on and why can't the dealer see the equipment hooked up to the other router?

Thanks!

Scott

is everything set to static IP?  It sounds like it might be, which would make it visible on the verizon network it was originally set up on, but plugged into the cisco router you wouldn't be able to see it.  It kind of makes sense that the amp wouldn't be set to static ip because you can't change the ip address of amps through system manager the way you can with controllers, touchscreens, IO extenders, you actually have to use the front panel of the amp to set a static ip address.  Chances are this is your issue.  I'll be honest with you though, if that is the issue and your dealer couldn't figure that out i'd be a little nervous.

To follow that up if that is your issue, put everything back on the verizon network, switch it all back to DHCP, then move it to the cisco network.  everything will grab a new, usable ip address at that point, assuming you've got the 2 networks set up properly.  

Also as an fyi, the guy that's doing the remote programming, I think that's all he does for the company and defers issues he runs into to the owner of the company and network guys. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the help.

Oh and fyi, I was up the other night to 3am doing wire management on the rack....eshhhh!!!

Scott

Archived