C4 Forums | Control4

Help with 3-way lighting!

I recently replaced an existing 3-way setup with a C4 dimmer and 3 button keypad. The problem is the chandelier I'm trying to turn on doesn't light up when I turn on the dimmer. The wiring is correct and I'm getting power (LEDs are lit) to both the dimmer and the keypad. I've IDed the devices in Composer but I'm not sure what else I need to do to have the chandelier on. I understand the the keypad won't work correctly until events are programmed in Composer, but I thought the dimmer would work out of the box. I've installed about 10 other dimmers and switches without a problem in the past but this is my first 3-way setup. Any pointers would be appreciated.

You've made some sort of wiring mistake, or possibly the neutral or dimmed hot (red out on the dimmer) has come loose from the wirenut connecting it to the chandelier.

The dimmers do dim properly out of the box, if it's not working, you've likely got a wiring issue.

My 'official' advice of course is to find an electrician... :)

RyanE

Disconnect the keypad wiring and get the dimmer to control the load correctly, first.

Do you not have hot/neutral/gnd at your keypad location? There's no need to run anything back to the dimmer location if you don't want to (traveler is not a traditional "traveler" implementation from what I've seen)

After working with an electrician over the phone (my brother-in-law) we were able to figure out the problem. Some of the left over wiring from my old 3-way where my keypad is now, which I capped separately, needed to be capped together. It was those wires that controlled the load. Power was coming in as it should but the load was never connected correctly. I did use the blue traveler from the dimmer to power the keypad. I know other methods were suggested but was it wrong to do it? Either way the dimmer and the keypad work as expected.

PeterM1 - My building does not have ground wires, just hot/neutral/load so I just cap the green wire coming from the dimmers.

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks Ryan for being quick to respond. I was literally sitting next to my PC hitting F5 hoping that someone would respond. My wife was getting upset with all the wires coming out of the wall and having to give the kid a bath in the dark. :D

Archived